Sign in to follow this  
Rossco

Hole in block, can someone shed some light???

Right i was cleanin up my block yesterday to get it ready for painting, i was chipping off all the crap that was built up on it from years of abuse and on the timing belt end i noticed a wee hole, its just below the big plate that covers the water jacket and to the side of the oil pump/distributer pully, upon further investigation it appears to be well shallow and its a fully uniform hole so it doesnt really look like a corrosion created hole but it does appear to be weird that there is a hole at the side of the block, anyone shed anylight?? :scratch:

Cheers

any chance of a pic? I have a feeling that this is there for an engine mount when the original casting of the block was used in the MKI Golf... I could be completely wrong though... :|

any chance of a pic? I have a feeling that this is there for an engine mount when the original casting of the block was used in the MKI Golf... I could be completely wrong though... :|

Ill get a pic up tonight when i get home but the hole itself is just a bit bigger than what you would need to put a pen tip into, it is quite small, any ideas henny??

not from memory... and I can't even go and have a look at my car 'cos it's at the bodyshop being "evaluated..." :| :cry:

I'll have a look at the photos and post back then... 8)

Right people here is a piccy, its a bitty shit but the circled are is about wher the hole is, if you squit you might be able to see it :lol: , but you get the general idea, any ideas??

holeinblockpeg.jpg

Cheers

Ross

My cossie head has some holes like that - i think they were used to hold it while machining bits. The block has simmilar things on it. You sure its not an oil gallery drilling which has subsequently been filled (as is correct?)

I have absolutly no idea but i need to find out before i bung it back together and it starts pissing shit out all over the place

Picture looks nothing like my crankcase.. :shock:

You probably have a square plate covering the hole to the water jacket thats all, no-one able to help then??

I have my car back now, so I'll have a look at my block tonight to see if I can work out what it's for... 8)