Sign in to follow this  
coolrado

how to test a knock sensor

i dont know if this has been posted before, or if its common knowledge but i was flicking through a haynes ecu and electrical system manual (riveting reading i know)

and came across a simple test for the knock sensor, all you need to do is connect a timing strobe to plug number 1 and observe the timing mark while tapping the engine block close to the knock sensor (dont actually hit the sensor or its bolt) and the timing should retard each time it is hit

i suspect i have a dodgy knock sensor so i will be testing this out this evening 8)

I've read the VR boys talking about these, but wasn't sure if all the engines had them.

Sort of hoping (if I've got one) mine's knackered, cos the threads I've seen said replacing one that's faulty gives some horsepower back.

Apparently the engine goes into `limp` mode when these sensors go t!ts up :?:

dunno i have'nt had chance to check yet as i am still in work :(

will let you know later.......... thats if i can find my strobe light :roll:

Torque has influence on operation of knock sensor so first check to be 20-25nm.

Vehicles without onboard diagnostic capability cannot have the knock sensor functionally checked.

Ensure that the torque is 20-25 nm and check for corroded terminals or shield damage.

Hope that helps.

Nick

someones dropped a trolley jack on the inductive pick-up of my timing gun so i will have to get another one tommorow :roll:

Torque has influence on operation of knock sensor so first check to be 20-25nm.

Vehicles without onboard diagnostic capability cannot have the knock sensor functionally checked.

i have checked the torque and it seemed far too tight when i undid it so i torqued it up properly

why cant the functionallity of the knock sensor be checked ??

i understand that it cant be checked using the diagnostics system as it hasnt got one but you should still be able to check it is working by using the method i mentioned as the knock sensor simply detects detonation and retards the ignition so fooling it by tapping the block should have the same effect

Even if your timing light is donald ducked, if you tap the block hard enough the engine note will change as it retards the timing.

Gavin

finally got around to buying a new strobe as i needed it to set the timing up for the chip and pulley, it is pinking slightly and the knock sensor seems to do nothing when i hit the block, so where the cheapest place to get one?

This test will in theory test the integrity of the knock sensor, although the test seems a little arbitory. All you are testing for is if the sensor is work/not working, hit the block hard enough and you will proberly see the desired results, but you are not really checking the sensertivity of the sender which is the important factor.

All you are testing for is that the sensor is working when it should be work, the irony is most knock sensor related problems are the revese, the sensor giving false signals to the ECU that the engine is suffering from pinking when in fact it is not. This is usally due to the sheiding of the signal cable being damaged and the core absorbing moisture.

I would strongly suggest that you change your knock sensor on your car if you have not already or if there is no history of it beingchanged recently. The majority of senders have seen better days now. Would you trust the integrity of 10 year old HT leads? Well a knock sensor cable is no different.

just picked up my new knock sensor from the stealers, can someone please confirm the colour of the plug as the one it has fitted is a bosch sensor with a blue plug and the new one is a siemens sensor with a green plug, is this correct?

cheers henny 8)

p.s you werent playing halo 2 on xbox live tonight where you, was round a mates place and he was playing against someone called jdub in the uk

not me... not got an xbox...

I'm not sure you can test a knock sensor with a xbox anyway...

read the small print on the last post of the previous page :lol: