Sign in to follow this  
Jim

I think I need Dub back in my life...

I've had an idea.. and my folks even think its a good idea too.

I'm considering, in the next few months (probably wont be till after the summer to be honest) looking at buying a Mk1 or Mk2 Golf GTI.

I want back into the VW scene because the french car scene doesn't interest me at all. I am quite happy with my Saxo to be honest - its cheap to run, and its a nice drive but I am not interested in anything to do with anything other than just driving it.

I'm thinking I could probably pick up a nice tidy GTI for under a grand.. insure it on limited mileage insurance.. and I even have a lockup garage at the top of the road which I dont use for my Saxo because its just too much of a walk every day.

I also want to use it as a tool to learn basics of mechanics and that kinda thing.. a Mk1 or Mk2 Golf is an excellent bulletproof design that should be an excellent starting place for me to learn from.

I would then be back into the VeeDub scene and I could go up to things like Inters without having to hang my head in shame :)

What do you think guys? :)

imho if you are going to do this get the latest mk2 you can find cos mk1 parts are getting very hard to find now if you want good bits anyway!!

do it jim! you know you wanna!

good point darren. but if you want a 1500Ib car, get the mk1 :)

then if you want it to run stupid fast times, put a turbo in it. the lag from a turbo will allow the lightweight car to hookup off the line, then slam you with a wave of boost once you're already rollin.. as opposed to the G60 or other supercharger setup that'll leave you smokin on the line in such a light ride.

mk1 GTi, 20v head, ABA block, t3/t4 turbo = my next 'project'.. not gonna happen anytime soon!! :lol:

imho if you are going to do this get the latest mk2 you can find cos mk1 parts are getting very hard to find now if you want good bits anyway!!

Nice advice. Thanks.

I have always liked the Mk2 more to be honest, but I initially figured Mk1 because it would be a bit cheaper.

I'll see what kind of Mk2 I can buy for my money whenever I come to do this :)

if your gonna buy a mk2 golf just buy a project rado you know it makes sense cos lets face it the running gear in similar

agreed nigel. i like the looks of the mk2 better than the mk1.. stock anyway. but if you're going with a mk2, why not go with THE mk2... corrado.

there's that guy sellin his shell for £750 on this forum somewhere.. looks like a very clean ride.. just needs a motor. there's a good project to get your hands dirty jim! ..its not like you'd have to rush, you've got the sax!

Well... I love the idea but...

Firstly the Corrado would cost a shed load more to insure.

Secondly.. I am not looking for a project car in the sense that I want to learn how to strip and rebuild it right down to the last nut and bolt. I want a car that runs fine, but I want to be able to do things like basic servicing, changing brake pads & discs, slight engine modifications, etc etc...

You know how much I wanna get a rado, but for the money I want to spend, the Corrado would have to be a proper project car.. and I just dont think I am ready for that just yet.

I have practically 0% hands on experience with the internals of a car. The most advanced stuff I have ever done is changing rotor arm & distributor cap, and pulling some carpets up on my Corrado. And that was alarming cause I wasnt sure I could put it back together again! :)

imho mk2 golfs are like tonka toys mate soo robust !! and they almost allways go back together again ideal for learning on...

jims16v, Buy a bently manual

Get a rado, Strip it down, and clean every part you can, putting it back together in "refit is the revserse of removal" style.

changing the bits you need to in the process.

Dont drive the car till its done.

Simply leave the wheels and front discs off it till you are done,

then no one can nick it out of your lockup so you dont need major insurance, but alway a good ideas.

It will cost more, but remember Tom got a VR with a burnt loom cheap!!! and he could of fixed that im sure with a bently manual!!

If Corrados weren't so rare here i'd be doing a VR up now instead of spending on my G60. Only cos the VR is newer!!

you know how much a mk2 weighs darren? just a little less than a rado?

Jim Jim Jim!

This is the route I advised to go once you were determined to lose the C.

And I still agree with it.

A decent-ish mk1 will set you back the same (if not more) than for a decent mk2.

Try and get a '90 spec 8v or 16v if your insurance can handle that. Few more subtle improvements on the big bumper model. Could have had my '90 60k FSH mint Golf for a steal!

If you want any pointers when looking for one, gimme a shout.

Not looking for a little while yet m8... probably sometime after the summer :)

there you go g60 spec on the first mk2 golf gti...

March 1984 - First production models available

1781cc K-Jetronic fuel injection

Power: 112BHP

Rear Spoiler, Alloy wheels

Front and rear disc brakes

Trip Computer, Sports Seats & Steering Wheel

Split rear seat option

Weight: 1000kg

0 - 60: 8.6s

Max Speed: 114mph

Darren - you got the times for the later Digifant engine? Wonder what's better out of that and the k-jet.

Yeah I forgot about Pau1's! It's been up for sale for a while now. What's with the wait Jim? Insurance renewal?

You still hiding from the Clan-gimps Jim? :D

Tom.. the wait is because I can't afford to pull £1000 out of thin air. I need a little time to save up :)

And nope.. I am signed into MSN... are you sure that you are? :D

Sorry! :(

Thought you'd be selling up the Saxo, paying of finance and still pocketing a little for yourself.

Yeah, go Golf!

I nearly went down the Golf route, so I'm with ya' m8.

And I'd prefer the mods to have VWs, rather than French stuff.....

so then...

mk1 GTI = ~680kg (i remember it being 14xxIbs, but high 14 hundreds so i rounded to 1500Ibs and converted to kg)

mk2 GTI = 1000kg (thanks darren)

Corrado

'90 G60 = 1115kg whhheeeee! :p

'91 G60 = 1160kg

'92 G60 = 1190kg

'92 VR6 = 1230kg

'93- VR6 = 1250kg

and the valvers weigh in at 1190kg-1210kg

a mk1 GTi is almost half the weight of a VR6 corrado! :shock:

i'm very glad the '90 rado is the lightest, but i'm lookin for a serious lightweight to setup for drag.. it has to be the mk1 for me!!! 8)

sorry to invade ur thread jim, i wanted to write those #s down somewhere :)

humm not sure but here's the mk1 aswell....

August 1982 - Introduction of 1.8 litre engine

1781cc K-Jetronic fuel injection

Bore/Stroke: 81mm x 86.4mm

Power: 112BHP at 5800rpm

Torque: 109 lbs ft at 3500rpm

Compression Ratio: 10.0:1

Max Speed: 114mph

0 - 60: 8.2 secs

Weight: 860kg

July 1983 - Discontinued. Replaced by Mk2 Golf GTi

so then...

mk1 GTI = ~680kg (i remember it being 14xxIbs, but high 14 hundreds so i rounded to 1500Ibs and converted to kg)

mk2 GTI = 1000kg (thanks darren)

Corrado

'90 G60 = 1115kg whhheeeee! :p

'91 G60 = 1160kg

'92 G60 = 1190kg

'92 VR6 = 1230kg

'93- VR6 = 1250kg

and the valvers weigh in at 1190kg-1210kg

a mk1 GTi is almost half the weight of a VR6 corrado! :shock:

i'm very glad the '90 rado is the lightest, but i'm lookin for a serious lightweight to setup for drag.. it has to be the mk1 for me!!! 8)

sorry to invade ur thread jim, i wanted to write those #s down somewhere :)

sorry mate the mk 1 weighs 860kgs not 680kgs :lol:

:o I cant believe that im going to be the sensible one here and say this but why not try and hold out to next year and keep saving. Maybe then you will be in a position to get a nice vr6 or something you really want, trust me its worth it.

I also cant see how it would be cheaper to run a saxo and a golf compared to just a raddo. :?

I spose I can understand that Joe..

I need to think about it.