Sign in to follow this  
rallyeman

Fidanza flywheels?

A very simple question (hopefully) for some one to answer.

Does anyone know what (if there are any) is the difference between a G60 flywheel and a VR6 flywheel?

I ask this because fidanza only list a corrado VR6 flywheel, agolf VR6 flywheel and a golf 1.8 flywheel. Any help is appreciated.

I'm pretty certain that there are more bolts holding the VR6 flywheel onto the crank so it won't fit a G60... The Golf 1.8 one should though... 8)

Phat? can you confirm/deny? 8)

Thinking about it isn't the g60 crank the same as the gti crank? So the fitment would be the same. They also state that a vr6 clutch should be used with the flywheel. Is this because the gti clucth is smaller diameter, and the vr and g60 are the same so i'd be able to use a 1.8 flywheel as you said henny. cheers.

the G60 and VR6 clutches are identical in size, it's just that the VR6 one is a fair bit beefier than the G60 one...

The only downfall I could think of was if the outer drive ring for the starter motor is different between the GTI and the G60 flywheels... :| Dunno on that one, it may be a "suck it and see" type scenario... :|

Good luck! 8)

4cyl and 6cyl flywheels are not the same. G60 is 228mm clutch yet 6 bolt flywheel. vr6 is 228mm clutch (better disk and PP) but 10bolt flywheel. Unsure what the 1.8T's use.

R

Thanks for clarifying that yellowslc. Hey, seeing as you are in the US can you suggest anywhere I can get one of these flywheels? I've found a few places on the internet but none have seemed keen on international orders for some reason. Thanks.

Yep, VR6 clutch will fit on a g60 flywheeel, but he vr6 flywheel has 10 bolt hoes, g60 has 6?

either way, I'd recommend the fidanza flywheel, it makes the car feel much lighter.

6lb, as opposed to the 18lb stock (or 30lb if it's an R32 one!! needless to say, I've put the 6lb one on the R32 lump (yes, it fits))

30Lb flywheel? Sheeeeeeiiiiiitttt, that's gonna make some difference dropping it by 24Lb! :crazyeyes: 8)