Sign in to follow this  
trevor mc daid

electric windows

There's no relay.

Follow a wire back, it's joined into another one in the steering column.

what's your problem?

deag.

I,ve only got the car a short while and the E/W wiring is a mess.The electric windows appear to have being fitted later to my car. The blue and red wire carrying power to the window switch seems very light compared to the rest of the E/W wires. Do you know what colour the wire is that it is suppose to join to. ( dont what to overload any of the circuits.

don't panic.

you've come to the right place.

I'm on my first C as well ('90 16V), and the first thing I did was fix the horrid mess of window loom botch that was in my car.

the red and blue wire is carrying the power for the telltale on the switch itself, not the actual power to the switch and then the motor.

Take some pics, and pop them up here, as I don't want to explain everything to you, and then find it's retro-fit from something else (with different wiring).

Must get on with that "how-to" I've been meaning to....

deag.

Neitehr of my windows work and the guy i bought the car from says a wire was cut accidentaly when the alarm was removed. Can anyone tlel em where I go to to look for this wire?? Thanks.

Thought the blue/red wire was a bit light. I've already disconnected the wires as they were poorly connected and insulated. I have figured out how the motors and switches are wired together from a golf circuit diagram and they work ok using an external power source but i would prefer to have the power coming from the proper fuse/relay etc. What is the purpose of the "tell-tale" wire.

trev,

by "tell-tale" I mean the green light on the switch. don't know if it's a proper tell-tale, but when I move my windows, it dims, so I presume that qualifys it.

Follow the red wires back from the switch pack, one should join up with a black, green and brown (iirc), going across to the pass window. The second red goes off up into the column. Remove the cowl, and you should see where it goes in. Somewhere on this wire is a 20A fuse.

If you haven't got similar wiring, post pics/description.

Sorry for the delay, been out of the country for about a week! :o

Jonester,

See above description, you're looking for the same red wire into the column (that powers both window circuits).

However, that's ONLY if your '92 VR6 has the same window circuit as the '90 16V. I'm sure someone more knowledgable will correct this, but I think you've a different circuit! Sorry.

:? :?

Deag.