Sign in to follow this  
BeavisJem

Where to find my dream Corrado?

Hi Guys just wanted to say hello and ask a couple of questions.

Having been VW fan for a while now, I have decided to buy a Corrado :) OK now i am 22 and waiting for the my 2nd years no claims in september. So that gives me 4ish months to find the car i want.

Can you guys give me some tip? I have searched the forum and got alot of information about what to look for when buying corrado's. But i would like to know how much i would be looking to spend for a clean corrado with no mods. I can carry out minimal work myself and i would also put some money in to get the car perfect for me.

I am interested in 1.8 G60 and 1.8 16V. No VR6's because of insurance. Which would be the better car and why?

Why should i go for the G60 rather than the 1.8 16V apart from performance?

Can you give me some figures of perfomance on standard G60's and 1.8 16v's? Top Speed, 0-60 etc, i have read the figures on vw-corrado-club.co.uk and the web site says the G60 is only a few MPH faster than the 16V is this true?

How much and i expecting to pay for a corrado?

Are there many about? i have seen a few on autotrader but i was wondering if it will be a difficult search to get a good condition one.

What other places could i look for corrado's apart from Loot, auto trader etc, could you give me a list?

Should i look for newer corrado's 1991-1995 or eairlier ones? why?

Any other advice would be great.

Sorry about the list of questions, hope you can help.

CHeers

BeavisJem

What's your budget?

Performance figures - vary quite a lot from place to place but the G60 is quicker than the 1.8 valver. Someone will post them up I'm sure.

The G60 stopped in late '92 so if you're after a newer (facelifted model - from '92) then go for the valver.

http://www.veedub.co.uk I think has quite a good classifieds also http://www.clubgti.com has a classifieds, as do we here on this forum :)

The G60 is the one to go for if you are looking to tune it though.

At the moment i am looking at about £2500- £3000, but i can adjust that a bit if it means i can get what i want.

For this price what can i expect to see?

If i chosse a later model valver will that be the 2l 16v, that has a cat as well i assume (>1993) i think i would like a 1990-1992 model if i could find one.

I am not too keen to tuning one at the moment after spending the last 2 years doing head rebuilts, vavle stems, head gaskets, sub frame on my poor golf driver. coming up to 200000miles and drives fine :)

Cheers for quick reply

BeavisJem

I absolutely loved my 1.8 16valve.

She was a 90G and had done monster mileage before I sold her on and she never really caused me a problem, never used any oil or water, regularly did 35-40mpg and always felt fast enough for me. (Plus they share a lot more parts with a Golf so some bits are cheaper.)

When I bought my VR6 I made a point of going to look at the cars that looked expensive for the year. If a car is advertised cheap there is nearly always a reason, hence it's usually a waste of time looking.

Just my point of view of course, and definately not the way to bag yerself a bargain! :D

Don't forget to think about the insurance that goes with it.

I've got a H90 1.8 16v. 22 with 3yrs ncb on limited mileage and social & domestic pleasure excluding commuting and its costing me just shy of 4 figures :cry: .

Thats with alloys,suspension,exhaust,tinted widows declared.

i've still got to work out the new premium with the insurance with the new bodywork etc.

The insurance didn't put me off, angry of course but the car is fantastic.

Don't want to put u off a c but just make u aware m8 thats all

My first C was an H plate 1.8 16V... I loved that car with a passion! :D

My current G60 is a whole SHED LOAD faster both on acceleration and top speed than the 16v ever was, BUT she also drinks fuel lots more too! It's a swings and roundabouts thing... The 16V engine is relatively expensive and more difficult (IMHO) to get more power out of, where the G60 can be chipped and pulley'd pretty easy to get some serious extra power... But the G60 tends to cost lots more to run on services and fuel...

Test drive a couple and see what you think... :?: If you're running something like a driver now, a 16V is gonna feel pretty damned fast in comparison! :lol:

Insurance is the bit that will probably hurt you at 22 (that's how old I was when I got my first one) As long as you take your time and don't just jump at the first one you see (like I did! :roll:) then you should end up with a nice motor that won't cost you the earth to run...

From the sound of your Driver you're not bad with a spanner so can probably cut out quite a bit of the costs by DIYing the normal service bits, and if you've spent your time looking wisely, and read a load of the posts on here :wink: then you could well end up with a C that you'll be really proud of without breaking the bank initially or in the long run...

BeavisJem, I feel for you as its hard to find a perfect one because there's not a huge amount around. I spent ages looking for the right corrado! What you want in my opinion is defo a G60. There ace to mod, there's a real enthusiasm involved with everyone that owns a G-Lader G40's, G60's, etc. Don't be scared off by the story's of super charger's blowing and service costs. I reckon its all blown out of proportion.

My perfect corrado's spec-

G60

late J plate 1992 (ABS, grill, bonnet bulg, flush fog's, etc)

Essential FSH including + charger rebuild's.

Black interior. (not into the grey dash in the one's with grey interior's)

Blue, black or grey. (white and red less desirable but cheaper)

under 100K but not esential.

At the time of looking I wanted a standard one but now that I have a chip and pulley. I would look for one with it done, as sooner or later you'll want it done. Buy off somebody who know's about G60's. Not some fool who's had it since new and has never heard of a charger rebuilt.(I mett a few of those!) Be prepared to look about and don't be scared of missing out on one if it not quite right. After all if your into your Dubs you want a MINTER!!!! good luck!

Thanks for the reply guys it been very helpful.

CaiosG60 PWR idea of a perfect corrado spec is pretty close to what i want to find. I have had a white car for a couple of years and now i want a dark one, Black or Blue would be perfect.

I know insurance is a big problem, i have been quote just over £750 for 1.8 16v and just over 4 figures for the G60, if i can get the perfect car i don't mind spending the extra on insurance if it a G60 :)

What are the costs of chip and pulley for a G60? as this could be done in the future.

Thanks again for your replies and i will be lurking around the forum. I will keep you updated with ones i go and try out.

Just one final thing, How much? What am i looking to pay for a good 1.8 16v or a G60?

I ahve given myself 4 Months (if i can hold out for that long) to get one so i will be doing some serious searching.

Cheers

BeavisJem

To honest mate I don't think you will get a decent '92 (facelift) G60 for anything less than £3k.

For £2500 - £3000 you will get a '90/'91 with highish miles or a shabby '92.

There are bargains still out there just take your time and see as many as you can. This will give you a feel for what your money will get you.

Thanks for the reply leew, i just want the paint work outside to be clean and the interior to be clean, if a few things need doing cosmetically i would do them, with regards to the interior. I am not expecting a factory finnished corrado but i think what you said about searching and finding what i can get for my money.

I'll keep you guys updated

BeavisJem

You need as close to £3000 as you can manage to get. As for insurance shop around more most company's only charge an extra £100 more for a G60 than a 16v. Try HIC! I pay £800 on a LHD Golf G60. I am 23, clean licence(briefly!) and I have no NCB as it was used on a motorbike(carnt tranfer it)! Third party fire+theft, okay postcode and cat 1 alarm.

Just got a qoute from qouteonlinedirect.co.uk for £797 on a G60 with my 2 years no claims. :)

Thats not too bad, G60 it is then, if i can find a nice one.

BeavisJem

I am paying £500 on my 1.6 driver

If u gonna go for a G60 u might have to spend a lil bit more tahn 3k but make sure its got the relevant history and its clean ...

if u want the car to cruise abt in and not go fast then a 16v would be ideal

having jus bought a G60 abt 5 weeks ago and being picky i decided to pay a lil bit more and get a really mint one

Use the autotrader and similiar catalogues to find a car but also keep checking the usual local free newspapers too. U never know i bought mine from a local freebie paper after whole day searching the net an trader LOL

also make sure the car is standard mght help to keep insurance minimal

:lol:

GOOD LUCK