Sign in to follow this  
K-rado

knock knock knocking

Help us out here guys

Not been overly techi, but my car has developed a very terminal sounding knocking from the near side front drive. I guess you call it the CV joint and suspect that is the problim.

It only happens when I apply power or turn cornors so its not the wheel bearing.

Whats the score. Will I be ok to drive it for a short distance? where can I get it replaced. Is it something I can do myself? Where will I get the Part and how much? The setalers, How much are they likely to cost?

The alloy looks as though It has recieved a knock in the past. (not perfectly circular) and has probly contributed to the problim.

Thanking you all in advance. Kieran.

it should be ok if its just started knocking but get it replaced(CV boot and by the sounds of it CV joint) ASAP and try to refrain from leaving it too long...........also get the geometry done at the same time as the CV joint is replaced........might also be worth you checking/replacing the CV boot on the other side at the same time..........$tealer will obviously have the parts and pretty sure GS&F/EuroCarParts will also be able to supply too

For the cost of it i would get it done as soon as possible because although if in theory its only just started to go you may be able to repair it if you leave it too long you might not be able to just re-boot it and if left too long i could be worse.

btw if moneys tight and you may be able to get a full second hand refurb driveshaft for

New parts are obviously better if you can afford it tho.

Thanks you two. I drove it very easy today for about 40 + 40 miles (32mpg) and it only started knocking towards the end. I was driving fairly hard yesterday ( through MK Grid -rude not to :lol: ) so I guess the hotter it got the bigger the prob sounded. The previous owner told me that the the boots were just changed and look new enough. Does anybody know of a web site where I can buy the new CV joints online? Unfortunatly so busy have not time to go shopping to stealers in the day time. Tks again.

http://www.gsfcarparts.com

Disconnect the hub via the bottom ball joint and you won't need to have a geo check done. You might need to use a punch to get the pinch bolt out. I knock a fat chisel into the slot to spread it and release the hub. Did the Father in laws Passat the other day in well less than an hour.

Gavin

Cheers Blue, Will have a look at that. Tks for the tip. All I need to do now is source the parts and find the time.