Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

4WD (syncro) conversion (UPDATE: 20/02/05)

still watching avidly and getting some mad ideas for J-DUB's next incarnation... ;) :twisted: :lol:

Keep going Paul, not far off now by the sounds of things... 8)

Phat, keep going!

i have a syncro shell, well most of it and a corrado, this is what i planned for next summer!

i need as much info/pics as i can get

Hi Guys

Used to hang around this forum when it started ages ago and only recently rediscovered it.

I did a Syncro conversion to my Corrado a few years ago, I didn't go to all the trouble of fitting the original floor plan, I just modified the existing one and fitted a tank in the boot, if I ever got my hands on the rear bits I probably would do it just to make it nice and neat.

Anyway, let me prepare you for what was a total bitch and that's the exhaust manifold/ downpipe, steering rack clearance issues. There were never any G60/ VR6 RHD Syncro's built so it's a custom job, when I'm home at the weekend I'll try and route out pictures of mine.

Keith

already got the r32 downpipe on, just needs a tweak to get it to clear the steering rack boot a bit better.

I've got a vr6 syncro downpipe too, but as it's for LHD it goes bang where the steering rack wants to be on the RHD cars

The exhaust is going to be a bit "custom" anyway ;-)

The exhaust is going to be a bit "custom" anyway ;-)

Why does that give me mental images of you with a manic grin and a large lump hammer "assisting" the exhaust to fit into the correct place?!? :? :lol: ;)

Oh you'll hear it alright, it's not going to be quiet that's for sure. :-)

Henny, there's nothing wrong with a bit of mechanical persuasion and persussive maintenance you know ;-)

already got the r32 downpipe on, just needs a tweak to get it to clear the steering rack boot a bit better.

Nice, probably might need a bit of exhaust wrap, I melted/burnt my p/s rack boot :shock:

I used a Golf Rallye manifold along with a custom (PITA) downpipe joined to a 2 inch pipe with lambda probe hole then a Supersprint centre box and custom rear box.

I've a new engine project going on at the mo' and will redo the whole exhaust once it's finished.

Keith

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, there's actually a rear anti roll bar upgrade available for the Syncro's, you can buy it from VW direct, it was originally designed as an option for cars towing caravans or something. I'll route out the parts numbers if anybody's interested as you have to change the bush and brackets too.

thats handy to know, although it may be useless for me as I am grafting in the haldex diff which I have heard fouls the syncro roll bar :(

I havent thought of an alternative yet

I've heard the passat g60 syncro had a different ARB becasue of the self levelling rar suspension?

Never heard of the self levelling rear suspension and I can't remember if this is from a Passat but I think it isn't :?

But the one I have fits, just gimme a bit of time to route out the numbers, I'm not as organised as I'd like to be :oops:

I've heard the passat g60 syncro had a different ARB becasue of the self levelling rar suspension?

Never heard of the self levelling rear suspension and I can't remember if this is from a Passat but I think it isn't :?

But the one I have fits, just gimme a bit of time to route out the numbers, I'm not as organised as I'd like to be :oops:

Organised, whats that :lol:

Update.

sorry about the pics, I've only got a camera phone at the moment.

ALmost done now, just needs more shutz and paint really.

I've shown the cast mounting brackets as someone was asking about those earlier. Note the new bolts and the super clean floorpan. I couldn't bear looking at it all filthy, so I scrubbed it clean, inly to find that it's not even painted, it's grey! so I just had to give it a quick blast of body colour. I'll do the rest of the floorpan too.

I gave the diff a quick scrub up too with a wire wheel. it's almost polished!

Just had a thought, is there any sort of quaife type diff that could be used at the rear and would it even be worth it?

Yes. Peloquin Transaxles in the states have just made one.

I will buy one if I find I need it.

In a stock syncor the idea is that when you induce wheelspin on a corner the inside wheel spins up, so the Viscous Coupling will detect a speed difference between the front and rear diffs, so it'll start to give drive to the rear. on mine, because I already have anATB diff in the front, I can't spin one wheel, becasue when one wheel tries to spin it;ll transfer the poer to the outer wheel. So on mine, the rears are only going to do anything if I spin BOTH front wheels. It's going to take some serious driving to spin a rear one too, let alone all 4!!