Sign in to follow this  
boab

Rebuilding engine, parts? where from?

ok ive decided to keep my 16v, and gonna get the engine back into shape, now trouble is where do i get the parts? which parts do i need, and does anyone know a garage where i could get it done in the ayrshire/glasgow area?? or does anyone know how to do it thereself and fancy a project to keep them busy, id rather pay someone from here than a garage who will no doubt rip the arse out of it, what is a rough overall cost of it all, parts and labour if were to get in done in a garage. and id like to replace the parts with better quality bits and maybe performance parts to get a little extra power

which parts do i need

Full set of bearing shells - main and big ends

full gasket set inc sump and headgasket

depending on the state of the bores new rings or new rings AND pistons (if it needs a rebore)

Machine shop work - rehone or rebore as required and a full engine balance is a good idea (pistons, rods, crank, front pulley, flywheel and clutch)

big end bolts (get arp ones)

You'll also need plastiguage, vernier calipers, and a good torque wrench.

Plus anything that needs doing to the head - new valve guides / stem seals etc....

VW? Tbh I dont do VW's so I havent a clue. Get OE bearings if I were you - there not something you want to break. Depending on the state of your crank you might need a regrind and oversize shells too.

You could save yourself some work: TSR on 01278-453036. They'll sell you a recon short engine for

£520 complete.

Give Star Performance a ring for some advice. They are based in Fife.

See http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... c&start=60.

Some of the Mk3 Golf were putting out 190BHP - ask them what engines they have in them and cost.

Reconditioning your own engine would be costly - you could upgrade your engine by buying 2nd hand (G60) and get StarP to install it.

Send the head off to a GOOD machine shop (local recommended ones tend to be fine) and get new seats, guides and seals installed (preferably 3 step valve seats) then lap them in yourself with a kit from your local motorfactors (should cost you less than £10 for the lapping kit)

Get the machine shop to check the crank and bores and make sure they're within tollerence (should be on a valver ;) ) and hone the cylinders out, and, as Scruffythefirst says, balance up the whole bottom end (crank, pistons and con-rods) and possibly lighten and balance the flywheel too... 8)

If I were rebuilding an engine, I'd use:

Bearings are available for a few quid (litterally!) from GSF

Head gasket set from GSF

Rings from Euro or GSF

Waterpump from GSF

Block gasket set from GSF/Euro

Sump gasket from GSF/Euro

Sump from GSF/Euro

Oil pressure sensors from VAG

Oil temp sensor from VAG

Water temp sensors from GSF/Euro

Black plastic water flanges (side and front of head) from VAG (with new O rings)

Oil pump from VAG

Oil cooler from GSF/Euro (if you can't afford a Mocal external one ;) )

Tappets from GSF/Euro

Cam chain (if it's a 16V) from Euro/GSF

Cam belt from Euro/GSF

P/S belt from Euro/GSF

Alternator belt from Euro/GSF

Bosch Dizzy cap and rotor arm from Euro/GSF

SACHS clutch kit from Euro/GSF

This little lot sounds like an awful lot of stuff, but that will give you a first class rebuild, which you know will be right and have no corners cut ('cos you'll have done it yourself!) The bits shouldn't cost you more than £500 + balancing work...

If it's a valver, get yourself a Golf MK2 haynes manual and all the rebuild instructions are in there... 8)

Good luck! 8)