Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

16v engine rebuild....

Going to start an engine rebuild on my spare 9A botton end, and need to I know what I should be considering when doing it. IIRC 9A botton ends suffer with the cylinders going oval is that right? If so and mine has, where would you guys recommend that I take it to have it checked (and rebored)? Also has anyone got a list of the tolerences for things such as crank bearings etc :?:

I've managed to find a thread with a list of the bits I need, thanks to Henny, but its the machining/honing stuff that I'm going to be stuck on. :!:

This is my first attempt at engine rebuild, so I think what I might do is do a "How To" with loads of pics if you think that is a good idea :?:

the most important thing to do is make sure that the area you are working in is clean, dry and warm... if it isn't, then you are unlikely to build a good engine... :|

Get yourself a Haynes for either a 88-92 passat or an Audi (I think it's 100) which uses the 6A engine as that will have all of the tollerances and torques in it... 8)

yeh henny you got me worried here, i'm rebuilding+ a bit a 2 litre in the garage, and it certainly ain't too warm..... :?: :cry:

am assuming you can do the prepwork in the cold and then acclimatise/ assemble in a *warmer* area

I built mine in my garage... just make sure that you sweep up any concrete dust off the floor a good day or so before you start the build so there's none in the air to contaminate the bearings/shells and make sure you cover the engine up with a clean cloth when you leave it overnight.

ALSO, If you put in a nut or bolt, TIGHTEN IT to the correct torque.... NEVER just put a bolt in loosely and leave it, 'cos it's too easy to then forget to tighten it. I ALWAYS make sure that I have no interruptions when I'm doing engine work with nothing to rush me and make me forget anything and work in a methodical planned way. This ensures you don't forget anything or make any silly errors. Plenty of breaks at set points in the build to ensure you're not getting tired, and if you're starting to get frustrated with a part which won't do what you want it to do, leave it, get a drink, chill out for a few minutes and then go back to it... 8)

aide, the warm bit is so that YOU are comfortable! ;) :lol: A happy worker is more likely to get the job done right than one who's shivering and got numb fingers! ;) :lol: IMHO, The tollerances on a VW engine aren't close enough for the differences in UK temps to make much of a difference... ;)

Just running through that wee checklist there mate, it appears i pretty much did all that stuff especiallythe covering up with a big cloth, old mans old dresing gown it was, did a good job. No luck on the warm front tho, in fact it was snowing tonight when we were welding in my new battery tray :shock: