Sign in to follow this  
swfblade

Oil temp guage

Im trying to install an oil temp guage into me G60. It comes with a sender and goes from 50 - 150 degrees.

To save on hassle, can it be run from the sender thats already in the engine, by simply taking it out from the MFA and plugging it into the guage? (This is assuming that the one in the engine goes to the MFA without going anywhere else!). If so, which wire will it be? I dont have a wiring diagram unfortunatly yet. I had a quick look 2nite when installing my Boost guage, but the wire that came from the sender was green/black, and there was no green/black into the MFA.

it depends on which resistance protocol your new gauge works on.

Each manufacturer has a different range of resistances which their dials work on. If the gauge you have is VDO, (or works on the VDO range) then it'll work properly with the original sender. If it's not, then you'll get all sorts of weird and wacky readings off the new gauge... :|

I'm not sure what you stand to gain from this and why you wouldnt put in an oil pressure or volt meter or boost guage. Or am I missing something here?

Already have a boost guage, and have a pressure as well. Reson for seperate oil temp is so that I can have the MFA reading on summit else without having to change it to oil the time to check on oil temp. EG. dont wanna start revvin above 3k or so wiv me 65mm pully, b4 me oil has reached a decent temp......I like my charger how it is.... :wink:

what you going to have your MFA reading on?

The only one i ever use is temp.

Surely better with an air fuel ration gauge for a set of 3 ?

ok, I appretiate your opinion on this, but i already have an oil temp guage and am trying to install that at the mo, so maybe we can talk about wether or not its worth it when thats done ;)

ok, I appretiate your opinion on this, but i already have an oil temp guage and am trying to install that at the mo, so maybe we can talk about wether or not its worth it when thats done ;)

I fitted an oil filter housing from a SEAT Toledo (late VW 1.6-2.0 style) and it has three mounting points for oil pressure and temperature senders (instead of my C's original 2), in fact it came with a temp sender on it, on my 16v this meant that the oil temp sender on the head reads the MFA and the second on the oil filter bracket is free for a separate gauge.

I swapped the head wiring to the bracket sender and the temp reading was exactly the same at the oil filter housing.

The senders all earth through the block, so you can't just attach two wires to one sender I wouldn't have thought.

You could always fit a sender inside the car so your MFA gave you the inside and outside temp :)

David.

all good thnx guys.

replaced standard sender wiv new one for guage, wired it all up last nite and works a charm! now i need to work out what guage i want in the third guage mount. ive fort about oil pressure, but if i can get that middle bit that some have wiv the voltage and pressure on that, then i wont bother and will get a air/fuel ratio job instead.