Sign in to follow this  
craigbeal

Webber Firebreather Carb

I know there have been posts about this and lots of people where thinking about doing it but did anyone put the larger Webber firebreather carb on there 1.8 16v and if so did it make a difference??

Been looking into these for a while and read that the standard tb is the same as 1 62mm butterfly and the firebreather is only 64mm i think? Cant see how you would gain 20bhp as the tb narrows down small again to bolt to manifold anyway.I would try one tho to try and beleive the hype

Consider the surface area of the plate, 2mm may not seem much but when you multiply it by 2piRsquared or whatever the formula is (now 36 and left school more than a while ago!) it will be much more.

Gavin

I would like to here how much difference it makes off sombody who has fitted one. Put a bigger webber carb on my old 1.3 fiesta and that made a big difference!

Difference with you fiesta is that it was a big carb not a throttle body.Big carbs also add more fuel.

Another thing i was guna point out is everyone disses the 16v inlet manifold and throttlebody but how come when you fit twin 40weber carbs you dont gain hardly if any power.That set up would give you 4x 40mm butterflys

Difference with you fiesta is that it was a big carb not a throttle body.Big carbs also add more fuel.

Another thing i was guna point out is everyone disses the 16v inlet manifold and throttlebody but how come when you fit twin 40weber carbs you dont gain hardly if any power.That set up would give you 4x 40mm butterflys

I have always said if carbs were any good they would be used in top end motorsport like F1 and WRC. But they aren't. All you get is a load of noise and crap fuel consumtion.

Gavin

Cant see how you would gain 20bhp as the tb narrows down small again to bolt to manifold anyway.I would try one tho to try and beleive the hype

yep, your absolutely right! this is my main issue with substituting the OE version for another version, as the manifold plate remains same size. my plans involve modding this section!