Sign in to follow this  
gibber

Simple swap?

Im going to be swapping the engine form my US spec corrado G60 into my mk4 lhd golf cabrio 1.8.

I cant see a problem with the engine swap, and I think the engine will go onto the rod change box that is currently fitted into the golf, and I cant see any other problems at this stage unless anyone can tell me differnet??

My problem is the wiring, I want to wire it back into the fuse box as it should be, anyone know hard this will be?

Has anyone got any advise on this?

Anyone know of a cheap auto electricon or friend who could do this cheaply?

Please feed free to post you opinions or help.

Thankyou.

It should be pretty simple with both cars being LHD. Is the C an Auto? The cable box would be better to handle the G60. You will need to use the 1800 flywheel as the bell housing is smaller. You will also have a smaller clutch which will be less effective with the G60 especially if it's chipped and lets face it, there can't be many std G60s about.

In my local scrappy there are some Passat which would donate the bits you need, except a LHD pedal box.

Gavin

The corrado is a manual, but the box on the golf feels way nicer.

And I thought it would be easier than trying to change the selector over to cable, I want it all to look like factory.

When you say I need to use the 1800 flywheel, they are both 1800's, explain please.

The flywheel and clutch on the G60 are 228mm, the Golf will be 210mm. The 020 Golf box just isn't as strong as the 02A cable change box of Passats/Corrados/MK3s etc.

The hydraulic clutch is the only hard bit cos. The pedal box of a LHD car would be needed. If you C is manual I would definately use it. Not a long job to bolt it in if the car is in bits. The shifter stuff should bolt up too. Dropping the exhaust would be the only bind, better than replacing gearboxes all the time.

Gavin

Looks like that bit is sorted then, now swaping the G60 engine and box!

Both cars are LHD so hopefully the parts should fit!

Thanks for your help as always Gavin :salute:

Any help on the wiring?

Yeah it should all just plug into the fusebox. Strip out anything that was connected to the Golf motor back to the fuse box. Then fit everything that was conndected to the G60 back in. The plugs will only go in the right places, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Just take note of stuff as you take it out. Photos might be a good idea.

If you were asking if I'd come over and check it out. I'd love to but the 'bent ears' just wouldn't be worth it :roll:

gavin

If you think it should be that easy I will have a go myself, but if I need your help I will have the flowers and chocolates ready (no these arnt for you)

Do you think the fuel pump will need to be swaped?

Anything else that I mite not of thought about?

The golf doesnt have MFA, will that also just plug in?