Sign in to follow this  
ANDY16V

Generator lamp has come on

Coming back from town today my generator lamp came on and also went off , but mostly stayed on, i've also noticed before now that the illumination on my head unit has dimmed. whats the most likely answer to this? and is it safe to drive it in this condition? cheers guys!

2.0L 16v 1992, 106 000 miles

Coming back from town today my generator lamp came on and also went off , but mostly stayed on, i've also noticed before now that the illumination on my head unit has dimmed. whats the most likely answer to this? and is it safe to drive it in this condition? cheers guys!

2.0L 16v 1992, 106 000 miles

your battery isn't charging!

check the brushes on your alternator, replace the brush pack if worn, should be about a tenner. easy to remove brush pack, just two phillips screws on the end of the alternator.

look for black thing in pic with screw heads either side

David.

sounds like your alternators on its way out, does the light go off when you rev and on at lower revs, did you have lights on at the time? and have you been getting shocks when leaving the vehicle?!

but yeh, on dark roads you need lights so needs to be sorted

Thanks for replying so quickly!!!

well no shocks from the car as yet, lamp went out when i pulled in off the motorway- and car was just ideling, but seemed to come on again 2 minutes after that when the car was driving up an incline??

cheers

check that the thin blue wire from the alternator is not damaged. This is the wire which turns the warning lamp on if the alternator isn't charging properly, but it will also do the same if the wire's damaged. ;)