Sign in to follow this  
BigTartanJudge

Which gearbox for G60 ?? - MK3 GTi 16V or G60 / VR6 hybrid

Hey all,

I am looking for some advice re: gearbox issues. I have a Sachs Power VR6 clutch, brand new, and a standard 98,000 G60 box. I wish to either replace the whole box with a MK3 GTi 16V one and fit an LSD (Peloquin or Quiafe) to it using my current uprated clutch or just replace some of the G60 internals with VR6 ratios (and other internals ?) and fit an LSD and use the uprated clutch.

Which would you recommend and if it's the G60 box with VR6 internals, which parts from a VR6 donor gearbox would I need ? It's just I have been offered a whole VR6 gearbox from a 1993 VR6 that has only 17,000 miles on it which I could use as a donor.

Cheers,

BigEastSideVWG60

VR6 shafts(for 1st and 2nd) G60 for the rest. but with a 3.94 final drive. or at least a 3.6. do not use the horrid vr6 3.3 one.

good excuse to get it done with the LSD too.

Thought there was a topic on here about the values of using the MK3 GTi 16V box in a G60 as it had the perfect ratio's ? So which individual bits / internals do I need to cannabilise from the VR6 box ? And where dp I get a 3.94 final drive from ?

Cheers,

BigEastSideVWG60

buy the 3.9 brand new from the dealers, about £200.

you will need the VR6 input shaft and the corresponding intermatdiate shat and the reverse gear.

Hmmn,

So I need to get a 3.94 final drive from stealer for £200 ? Ouch, any places one could find it cheaper ?

And I also require VR6 input shaft, intermediate shaft, reverse gear and presumably the VR6 1st and 2nd gear ratios ? Forgive me if being thick, just not that up to speed with gearboxes / ratios etc.

Cheers,

BigEastSideVWG60

Phat? Is there any point in using the lower final drive ratio on a G60 box which you're fitting with VR6 1st and 2nd gears?

Correct me if I'm wrong (I could well be! ;) ) but the reason we put the VR6 2nd gear into the G60 box is because the G60's second gear is WAY too short. Wouldn't sticking in a VR6 2nd and then a lower final drive mean that you're back to square one with a crap 2nd gear, but also now with all the other gears being way shorter too? :|

[schild=18 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=C0C0C0 shieldshadow=1]My Brain Hurts![/schild]

Hey all,

Am still undecided on which gearbox to go for. Those with Mk3 GTi 16V gearboxes in their G60's (G60 JAY and Scruffydubbers - AFAIK he put it into his screw-charger equipped G60 before he sold it) why did you choose this box ?

Phat / Henny,

do I require any other parts from the VR6 gearbox (internals e.g. bearings, shift forks, idler etc. ) if I went for this option other than the VR6 input and intermediate shafts, VR6 1st / 2nd and reverse ratios ?

Also,

surely the gearboxes / ratios from a VW Golf MK3 GTi 16V and a late-spec VW Corrado 2.0L 16V are identical, as same engine etc so I could use one of these ? Finally, just to check, the gearboxes from a Golf VR6 and Corrado VR6 will be identical so I can use either of these ?

Cheers,

BigEastSideVWG60

Also,

surely the gearboxes / ratios from a VW Golf MK3 GTi 16V and a late-spec VW Corrado 2.0L 16V are identical, as same engine etc so I could use one of these ? Finally, just to check, the gearboxes from a Golf VR6 and Corrado VR6 will be identical so I can use either of these ?

Cheers,

BigEastSideVWG60

The engines on the 16v's are different, im fairly certain the gearboxes are too with the golf one having longer ratios.

Phat / Henny,

do I require any other parts from the VR6 gearbox (internals e.g. bearings, shift forks, idler etc. ) if I went for this option other than the VR6 input and intermediate shafts, VR6 1st / 2nd and reverse ratios ?

No idea mate, as I said, I had a complete VR6 gearbox which Vince stripped and swapped the bits over to my G60 gearbox for me 'cos gearbox internals scare me... :|

BigTartanJudge, Did you ever find out about the Mk3 Gti 16v box ratios being better? They should be easy enough to get hold of too.

I do remember one guy going through with this swap when the topic first came up a year or two back. He seemed very happy with the conversion, but didn't really give much of a review. I quickly looked on google to see if I could find the ratios for the Mk3 gearbox, but couldn't find anything... I seem to remember a quote of 63mph in 2nd though :?

Shilakadaddy, That sounds good to me, do you know if it is a straight swap into a G60?

Should be able to pick up a mk3 16v box pretty cheap too.

as far as I know it was straight sawp - but this is me trying to remeber a topic from a while back, so don't take my word for it! When searching around I found a couple of interesting threads on Vortex. They seem to have gone through all the possibilities of different gearboxes, so there's quite a lot of info on there.

This is also an interesting website:

http://www.techtonicstuning.com/TransRatios.html

But seemingly no mention of the Golf Mk3 16v gearbox...

I'll see if I can find the original thread on this topic...