Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

Is this cam ok?

I had decided to fit the inlet cam from my KR to the 9a and had a quick look at the cam last night.

What I found was a chip out of the case harding on one of the lobes. This was probably done when it was in my garage and I am pretty sure its now gooosed. Is it?

Yeah, that's shot - and it's more likely to have happened while it was in the previous engine. It looks like pitting more than a chip, and this would be consistant with the surrounding wear pattern.

I don't think you should use that again.

--

Olly

If you decide it is, have a word with TomB. I gave him an inlet cam last weekend. Not sure if he used it or not.

In my amateur opinion, that cam is useable. In formula 1 you wouldn't but providing there are no high spots then it shouldn't damage the tappet and would probably run forever.

Gavin

personally i wouldn't use it, it's not like the damage is off the profile, it's right on the end where valve spring resistance is greatest!

I had decided to fit the inlet cam from my KR to the 9a and had a quick look at the cam last night.

What I found was a chip out of the case harding on one of the lobes. This was probably done when it was in my garage and I am pretty sure its now gooosed. Is it?

as said by others, I wouldn't put that in a decent engine/car. If it was a 50 quid runaround that you were only going to drive for a few months and didn't give any stick then it would probably out-live the rest of a banger, but not in a high rpm 16v that you plan on keeping!

David.