Sign in to follow this  
bighands

Oil in water and water everywhere. . .

Its really trying my patience this week!

New gear selector cable, fitted and fixed-eventually, 5 mins down the road after having that sorted, the altenator FELL OFF!

Now, tonight, i drive to drop oof a mate, pull up outside her house, to the look off steam rising up from under the bonnet!! :mad:

Was completly fine earlier, and seems to be comming from around below the altenator area, no where in particular, but the more worrying part, is theres oil in the water, quite a bit :(

WHY?????????????

Cheers

well if its under the alternator its either a head gasket, or your alternator falling off damaged your oil cooler, check oil cooler for flow first then replace headgasket, both are pain but oil cooler easier than headgasket, believe me I have done both, oil in the water is one of the two. head comes off with 4 hours of work, oil cooler with about 1 hour.

WORSE?!?!

Thought the head gasket going would be just mayo water or oil, not water pissing everywhere?

Oh and also found out i need a new battery today . . . :(

Found the water leak, on one of the pipes comming out of the water pump, wouldnt of thought such a little split could create such a pain in the arse!! think potatonet was on the right lines when he said the altonator caused it, think that has caused the lil split!

But this doesnt explain all the oil :( this is the not good bit!!

I didnt over cook the engine when i lost all the water, got to about 100* that was it, and wasnt blown before!

Any one wanna buy a corrado ;)

Are the water pipes expensive to buy, cos there all looking bit tired really, and would prob benifit from renewal!

before you try to start your car again, check your dipstick to make sure there's:

a) oil in there still! :|

b) no mayo in the sump

If there's no oil, or what oil is in there looks like coffee, then the odds are that you've blown your head gasket.

If there's a coffee looking liquid in the expansion tank, but the oil in the sump is OK, then the odds are that you've damaged your oil cooler when the alternator fell off, although it's still possible you've blown your head gasket.

The only way to check the oil cooler is to remove both pipes off it and to then run water though it via a hosepipe and see if the oil level rises or the water coming out of the cooler is very oily... If it runs clear and there's no signs of the oil level rising due to water getting from the cooler into the oil supply, then your head gasket has gone...

Which ever way you look at it, if you're not sure about any of this, you are gonna have to get someone to have a look at this engine before you run it again else you could do some serious damage to it... :|

theres no water in the oil, and the oil level is fine!

I will go and check the oil cooler now, and see what the damage is! :)

Cheers

P.S the head gasket was gone in my old renalt 19, and was mayo in the header tank but what ever its is, its not gunna be a cheap week!!!

if you've just split the hose which feeds the oil cooler then you may well just have washed some old oil off the block which would make the water on the floor look oily... ;)

The water pipes from VW range from a couple of quid, upto £70 for some of the more complicated ones... If you've split the one I think you have (the one which comes up from the waterpump to the flange on the front of the block with a T-piece half way up to feed the oil cooler) then be prepared for the worst, as this is one of the expensive pipes... :|

Yep would be about right!!

Lucky local scrappie has passat eh!

Is the oil cooler a delicate part then, cos seems pretty robust! i have done about 150 miles since the altonator fell off, why has it decided to do all this now!!

Looks like the head gasket :( Might off been on its way anyway, and explain the poor starting and chugging its seems to of developed recently, thinking oil or water seeping in to the head and making here misbehave?

So if I take it tothe garage tomorrow and drop it off, and just tell em to fix it, and they say its the head gasket and i say do it, and it still doesnt sort it, and it say turns out to be the oil cooler, where do i stand when it comes to paying them to fix it, if the head gasket didnt need doing after all? Surely i shouldnt pay them if it didnt need doing!!

Sorry just dont use mechanices much, domost of the work myself, just sort of had enough of getting covered in crap and it seems like its gunna be a fairly big job!

Cheers

oil cooler is reasonably robust, but the do sometimes give up (I've had to replace a couple before when they broke down internally and dumped the oil into the water... :| )

Odds are it's just that pipe that's given up...

*edit* will you stop beating me to the reply! :lol:

Right, if you're worried, take it in and don't tell them what you think it is... If they diagnose it and get it wrong, you'll be in good standing to jump up and down and yell about the extra cost and (if it's a good garage) then they should only charge you for the parts and knock of the labour on the head gasket... ;)

oi! quit replying before I get chance to! :roll: :lol: See above edited post... ;)

:lol:

Sorry fella, on a corrado fixing mission!

Cool, i will just take it down tomorrow and say 'FIX IT' :)

Cheers for ya helpfull advice

Andy

Right been thinking about this this evening (yup dangerous i know) and i dont want the garage to fix the wrong bit, so am in two minds wether to say its prob gunna be the head gasket or the oil cooler, so they dont mess about and fix the prob first time! cheaper, and i get it back quicker?!? but dont want them to do both, and TRY and charge for both.

Also while we are on the subject, is there a 'uprated' head gasket i can get for it thats easy to get hold of, aka will say a G60 one be stronger?

Cheers

you have a blown oil cooler, drive your car for 15 mins and really get the temp up. after that drive your car fast and watch the temp in the car and see if it climbs substantially with a little gas ranging to a lot of gas, if the temp doesnt rise then your oil cooler is gone, if it does then its your headgasket. Once back from your escapade take the oil dipstick out to see if there is foam on it, if there is then your headgasket is blown, foam is only if you arent using coolant, mayo is with coolant. next look at your oil in the water expansion tank, did it form a thick layer of sludge on the inside flat part of the expansion tank, or is it building up? if yes to sludge then oil cooler is blown, also before you take your car out have it be cool and start it, smell the exhaust fumes coming out, if you are running coolant it will smell sweet. oil cooler is piece of cake, do it yourself, I did my headgasket and I had my corrado for 8 months, put in a copper one they hold high boost. I am 19 I did the headgasket when I was 18 this is my first car that I have worked on, besides a bug for 2 months. if you dont already have one BUY A BENTLEY, I have posted this so many times. It has saved me probably a good 1500 pounds in labor, yes my car was really badly broken. Do it yourself, thats all I have to say.

Ah cool, will print this off and do it tomorrow, gunna be hard as the split in the pipe just pisses water everywhere!! but from what i remember it does stay level!

Got a 16V hanes manual, and got the oil cooler in there, just not that helpfull, but get the jist that u just have to un-do the oil filter thread? and it comes away?

Cheers!

there is a bolt that is associated with that thread its a 23,24,25mm I dunno exactly but it is pretty big, unscrew that and then pull the oil cooler off, have a bag ready because it leaks oil everywhere.

the oil cooler is only £25 from Euro and takes about 30 mins to fit (but will need a new oil filter to be fitted at the same time) There's a nut that you undo that's on the thread above the oil filter... undo that, remove the 2 water hoses and the oil cooler will just drop off. When re-fitting, don't forget to add a little grease to the gasket on the top of the new oil cooler and only tighten the nut by hand so that it's reasonably tight, but not mega tight else you could damage your new cooler!

Don't put it off, change the oil cooler (never a bad idea if it's not been done before) and if that doesn't sort it, get the head gasket done... ;)

OIL COOLER(BRAND NEW UNIT) GO/JE/VE/SC/PA/T25/A80/A100

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VAG SELL EXCHANGE UNIT AND THEY SURCHARGE £20.00 PER UNIT AT COST TO ECP!

Part No. 215440030 £31.00