Sign in to follow this  
dubmad

really bad when cold!

when i leave my raddo to get stone cold she becomes a bit hard to start and sounds like she is running on three,and is overfuelling but as soon as she gets warm she runs like a dream.....

i have just had some head work done on her so was thinkin it may possibly be the valves not closing properly any suggestions?

cheers

Who did the head job? Did you have everthing in the list fitted at the same time?

Could be timing/temp sensor/lambda problem.

If the valves were not closing you'd get no compression and I doubt you'd get it to start at all.

blue temp sensor, or your distributor, my car does it as well I need a distributor, the hall sender inside of mine is fried, it cant tell where camshaft is and acts like crack addict. I replace the blue sender and it didnt effect anything, being that its only like 7 dollars. so I suggest buying a distributor cause that is what I am stealing off of a GTI or passat this weekend.

yeah already replaced the blue sensor and it made no difference,yeah all the bits ahve been put on at the same time.i checked compressions and when its cold its only about 5(14.4 psi per bar) bar cold but when warm is the correct compression 160psi! did a wet check also and it is exactly the same so is still pointing to the head.seems strange that the compression is fine when hot .

Is that very low compression value on one cylinder or all of them? If it is just one, I would suspect an hydraulic cam follower is jacking up on cold, thick oil and holding the valve partially open. When the oil heats up and gets thinner, it reverts to normal clearance and fully closes the valve.

I would be surprised if that diagnosis applied if all cylinders are leaking compression, unless you had all the followers replaced with a faulty or incorrectly specified batch.

Best wishes

RB

the thickness of the oil is correct,the loss of compression is in all chambers when cold.

fitted new hydraulics to her today and she had been left standing in theses icy conditions for two days turned her over and she started fine no missfiring symptoms or overfuelling so looks like she is fixed have to wait to do a cold compression test will do that in the next few hours hopefully they should be correct if not more head scratchin!

cheers for all ur help guys :D