Sign in to follow this  
Nick_Micouris

Clutch release bearing?

have started noticing a high pitched noise coming from the engine bay when the engine has warmed up at idle.

It must be clutch related because it goes away when the clucth pedal is depressed and comes back on release. :roll:

I think it is the clutch release bearing. Sound right?

Is it a serious problem - I am sure it has gotten slowly more noticeable but am not sure what it will lead to. Ideas anyone?

could be transmission related, when was the last time that you changed your fluid? when the clutch is released it is spinning the tranny so my bet is one of your tranny bearings are dead or just unlubed.

I have never changed the gearbox fluid to be honest.

I thought it was never necessary to change it.

I just remember my girlfriend who had a Polo that did the same and it was her clutch release bearing.

Yep, sounds like the clutch release bearing, mine does it at the mo. No need to worry really as it will gone on for years and years. Just annoying!

Its a gaerbox off job to pop a new one in, so best to put up with it until you need a new clutch or chains doing etc...

I had a new clutch put in my G60 a few years ago, but the new release bearing squealed, they replaced it twice in the end, must have been a bad batch of release bearings.

My G60 just started doing that too. From what I understood it's just a matter of taking that cover on the end of the trans off rather than a trans out job. I may be wrong here though. (Anyone who has replaced the bearing?)

I know that I did one on an older Rabbit (81) and that it was just a bearing cup inside the cover that rode on a pushrod but that was older and a cable clutch. Wishfull thinking I guess. :cry:

Nick_Micouris, I'm surprised that the bearing has gone already - new one should have been fitted when the clutch was done.

it sure was! and a VAG part too!!

All done as a cash "private" job at Abridge VW so no warranty etc... :(

I remember the guy saying that he cut his finger on the clutch release bearing on assembly actually...

I'd get someone else to have a look at it - release bearing should outlast the life of the clutch lining.

My G60's now 13 years old & still on the original clutch with no noises at all from the release bearing... :shock: