Sign in to follow this  
Brando

Any tips for Changing my front brake pads

Just ordered some from my nearest VW dealer and really fancy doing it myself. Can anyone point me in the right direction?? I know roughly whats involved but some diagrams and words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Olly.

get yourself a Haynes manual for a MKII Golf... Full, detailed instructions in there, complete with Torque settings... 8)

you don't need a torque wrench, but I'm a stickler for making sure things are tightened to the correct torque, especially on important things like brakes and wheels... ;)

An impact wrench is also a very handy tool for removing those nasty seized bolts!!! Also remember to use some copper paste when refitting bolts unless instructed to use loctite (in general). A G clamp is also handy for pushing the piston back.

You'll need a very thin spanner for seperating the caliper & carrier - can't remember the size though. The thin spanner is required for a slightly hidden bolt head - next to the rubber gaitor on the upper & lower extremes of the caliper body.

AFAIK - torque wrench is only needed if you're removing the caliper carrier - not necessary just to change the pads.

Here's a picture of the G60 setup -