Sign in to follow this  
Blown

A new noise.....

Help!

I've noticed in the past few months a weird knocking rumbling noise coming from somewhere in the vicinity of the drivers side footwell/wheel area of my G60.It sounds like something rumbling underneath the car,as if it's about to come off,but only happens after I've gone hard through a left hand bend,lasts for a couple of minutes(sometimes very loudly)and then disappears again,sometimes never heard of again for a few weeks.

I've checked the wheel bearings and they appear ok,also the suspension strut and most thing underneath are sound.

Could this be anti-roll bar problems or an indication of something more sinister,i.e driveshaft/cv joint problems. :cry:

I took the car to a garage and explained all this to them and took the mechanic in the car to try and get it to happen-typically it behaved itself! :roll:

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated as its pretty scary when this noise appears.

Only thing I can think of at the moment is the vibration dampener on the driveshaft. Looks like a big rubber donut, if its not attached right and you can slide it on the driveshaft by hand then cut it off.

i have this too. appeared after inters. strange. dont always feel it. whenits there though its like clunk,cluck,clunk only whe driving like 10mph n slowing though.

I thought it may be the bushes on my car. not sure though n its hard to tell without replacing n see. Will check the vibration damper n have a look aruond on mine too.

To be honest, it doesnt completely sound like the vibration dampener to me, when mine was loose I noticed it more under braking from high speed. Its definately something worth checking though.

Hi blown, does the noise occour only when turning? sounds like a CV joint culd be worn. This happens at slower speeds when turning (more so in full lock) and heavy clonking noise is heard :) :)

It's okay when turning at slow speeds and on full lock,never hear a thing.

It just occurs when cornering hard,usually if its a left hand bend and occasionally on a right hander(no jokes please!!) :D

Thought I would put this one at the top, I think I have a similar prob. 1st & only time it happened was last week when I took the car through a number of corners at speed. Then got a bit of knocking from the front of the car, I slowed down & it went away. It's not the exhuast - it's rock solid, as are all the engine mounts and all rubber suspension / anti-roll bar bushes as i have had them all replaced.

Could it be this driveshalt thing?

I've also had a read of it on http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... eshaft+g60

Is it just a case of cutting it off? Sounds a bit easy for a problem on one of my cars LOL :)