Sign in to follow this  
Republic Of Mancunia

VR won't start

Sorry for creating yet another post about starting problems but I can’t find any other post for a similar problem.

I backed my car out of the garage today, stopped it and left it on the drive. When I came to put it back in the garage a few hours later it wouldn't start :cry:

I just get a loud click, from what sounds like the solenoid or starter motor, when I try to start. I managed to push start it and took it out for a good run but still got the same problem when I tried to start it again.

It’s a 95 VR6 on about 95k, it has a Clifford Concept 600 alarm fitted. I've just had a new clutch and timing chains. Is there anything is can do to try to diagnose the problem? Or do I just need to take garage to diagnose or get some one to look at my alarm?

check all your earth straps mate

i had similar problem and tried all sorts and changing the earth stap form the battery ,chassis and alt

yup... they're a sod for just randomly giving up... :|

There's a quick way to check if that is the problem if you have a set of jump leads handy...

Connect ONE jump lead from the earth of the battery onto the bolt which holds the starter motor onto the gearbox

Try to start the car.

Simple huh? If the car starts with the jump lead on, the earth strap is knackered, if it doesn't then your starter motor has jammed and either needs freeing off (remove it and clean up the shaft which the gear slides up to engage the flywheel... or just beat the cr@p out of it with a wooden mallet! ;) ) or replacing... you may find that you still need to replace the earth cable even if you can unjam the starter motor though... ;)

Good luck! 8)