Sign in to follow this  
golfg60

Annoying cluncking noise

Hi chaps,

Just wondered if anybody can help with a strange noise i get. When im driving at any speed and dropthe clutch when i engage it again i get a knocking noise. It also happens when i change gear and engage the clutch. It sounds like there is some excessive play in the drivetrain somewhere but i don't know where to start looking.

Any ideas anybody....please

Tom

Try the engine mountings as a first guess - especially the front one.

Test it by lifting the bonnet, putting on the handbrake hard, engaging first gear and gradually letting the clutch in - if the front of the engine moves very much, your front mount is bu@@ered. It's a very common problem and quite easily fixed.

Best wishes

RB

Cheers pal! I should have said, i had the mounts replaced last week which did sort a few other problems out but not this one.

You need a spline tool of the correct size - it's like an Allen key, but has 12 points. You can buy a set of them to fit into a 10mm socket from Halfords etc (do not use a hexagonal Allen key or you will damage the recess in the bolt head). There are 6 bolts per cv joint where they bolt onto the output flange of the diff. Check that they are all fully tightened.

If it's not that, maybe there is a broken bush somewhere in the suspension or an anti-roll bar drop link may have given up the unequal struggle.

Best wishes

RB

Best wishes

RB