Sign in to follow this  
RACK

Blinging!!!!

I'm thinking about blinging up a spare in-let manifold I've got, what's the best way to do it?

I could probably polish it up to about 400Micron, would this be ok and would it last???

Cheers

RACK

You'd have to constantly polish it to keep it that way umless you could get it laqued in someway that is not heat affected.

I'm having all polished, laquered Aluminium pipework for my intercooler system being put on this week. But not sure if that will be subjected to quite the same temperature!

That's what I was thinking. I could probably order some laquer from work, but not sure what temp it would withstand???

Hopefully I can figure something out, to keep me busy during my lunch break.

Good to see surface finishes quoted there Rack, but 400 microns isnt that polished if Im right.

If you laquer allot it will aways peal after time.

True mate, I've just had a rummage round and got some higher finish micron pads.

It looks like I might just chrome it, how much does it usually cost?

don't bother lacquering it. polished alloy isn't THAT hard to keep on top of. and the beuty of leaving it bare alloy is that the more you clean and polish it the better it gets.

I have polished up a good few bit in my time, inlets and other engine bits, the alloys on my golf are bare polished alloy.

My advice, just work down with different grits till you get a nice even surface, I ususlly finish with 1000 grit paper before I get out the polishing wheels and then autosol.

I find with the wheels on the golf, bearing in mind that they are open to the elements 24/7, that I only need to autosol then around once a month, and over the winter months I just give then a spray with greese to protect them.

So to answer you question yes it does last, and I dont think you need to give it that much attention!