Sign in to follow this  
biggrim

Still loosing coolant and no hot air!

Hey guys.

First of all big thanks to g-man, Henny and andycowuk for their time and assistance over the weekend, I wouldn't have got it done otherwise.

Ok, replaced my waterpump, thermostat and thermostat housing as I was loosing coolant and it was dripping down from the waterpump side of things. Old pump looked buggered and the seal was totally gone. So imagine my horror when I got everything back together, put the coolant in and...... drip, drip from the same feckin place!!!!! Seems now to be dripping down the sump too so I've no idea what's going on.

On another note, I'm still getting no hot air through the vents even when the engine temp is in the 90's and coolant temp is around 90. The fan still kicks in and both the top rad hoses and the bottom ones get hot. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on and how I can fix it? Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks,

Graeme

did you make sure the seal was totally secure when re-fixing it?.......no bits of crap on the mating surfaces etc?

as for the lack of hot air...........not 100% sure on this but.........did you put the heater on to hot when you re-filled with coolant(maybe thinking about my 924 here)

vr6storm, don't need to do that on a Corrado, the controls only adjust the air flaps, not the coolant going through the matrix... 8)

Grim? Where's it leaking from? Sounds to me like you may have a pinhole in one of the water pipes too...

You may find that if you tap* the recall valves in the engine bay, the heater will start working again... The silt in them can solidify when you drain the system and bung 'em up...

*tap = knock it about a bit with a mallet... ;)

vr6storm, don't need to do that on a Corrado, the controls only adjust the air flaps, not the coolant going through the matrix... 8)

so i was thinking of re-filling the coolant on the porker :wink:

Ian, what pipes should I be tapping gently then? I'll try that tonight when I get home. It seems to be dripping down from where it was before, down around the water pump and the power steering pump (i think) and onto the ground. Can't tell exactly where but it's also now running down the sump. No idea what to do. Spent a total of 14 hours on the car at the weekend trying to sort this and no luck. Cheers for the ideas so far guys. Keep the help coming.

did you change the water pipe clips? They're an utter sod for going soggy and not gripping the pipes properly... I always replace 'em with jubilees to make sure they don't leak... 8)

The bit you need to tap is the big bulky valve thing that's got 4 pipes connected to it by the bulkhead above the gearbox. This is the recall valve. 2 of the pipes come from the engine, the other 2 go through the bulkhead to the heater matrix... 8)

Didn't change the clips cause I'd been told before that they were the best thing to use. They are a total beeeeatch to get on and off too! Could have saved myself about 20mins by replacing them with jubilee clips. I hope it's not a hose cause they aint cheap from VAG. Would be as well getting samco's! I'll try the hammer tappy trick tomorrow if I get the chance. I'll keep you posted with the results of the use of old faithful.

grim... did you replace the thermostat housing ? also what torque did you do it up to ? these can leak if not replaced as they seem to go out of shape quite easily

Yip Daz, changed waterpump, seal, thermostat housing and thermostat along with seal. Torque? Quite tight by hand. Didn't break the wrench out for that part. DOH!!!! Please don't tell me I have to take it all to bits again!

Coolant went in on saturday, coolant warning light flashes today!!!! It has got worse than before! Tries tapping the bit you described Ian but not sure if I got the right bit and there's still no hot air coming out :mad: How much are samco's and do they cover all the coolant pipes? Don't really want to get 'em but I might have no choice.