Sign in to follow this  
dnac

Lazy starter and jumps out of Third gear

Hey, I have seen a Corrado 1.8 valver on the ebay, he says that the starter is lazy, is this a hard swap to do, and what do they retail for.

He also says that it jumps out of third if you boot it and then let off without changing up, is this a common fault, is it hard to fix, and is it something to worry about.

Lastly its nugget yellow, what do you guys think of the colour?

Cheers

I promise to stop asking questions soon.

and thanks for all the advice so far

Gear box problem 500-1500 depending on the rebuild you have, it could be a selector problem but i'd walk away.

A starter motor is about £90 for a new one from GSF and about 30 mins to fit on your own... (2 bolts and 3 wires to remove with 2 spanners and a trolley jack!) Could also simply be a crap power or earth cable to the starter which would be much cheaper...

Jumping out of third sounds very much like a dead engine/gearbox mount to me... ;)

IMHO, Nugget yellow's cool... just be prepared to be looked at a lot as it stands out quite a bit... 8)

Go and have a look at it... 8)

Get the owner to rock the car forwards on the clutch with the handbrake on while you watch the engine... if it moves more than about 2" backwards, the front engine mount needs doing, then do it in reverse and see if you can see the gearbox mount lifting up (right at the back right of the enginebay as you look from the front.)

Take a pair of jump leads with you, connect one to where the earth strap attaches to the gearbox and onto the -ve on the battery, then try starting the car... if the starter works better, you'll need to replace the earth strap (about £25 and a VERY simple DIY job)... If it's no better, remove that jump cable and then try connecting from where the thick red wires attach to the starter to the +ve on the battery, try starting it again... If it's better then you need a new +ve strap (again, about £25 and a simple DIY job!)

If it's no better with either of those, you'll need a new starter motor...

Hope this helps! 8) Good luck! :D