Sign in to follow this  
silverslc

Cracked Radiator

So when I got my thermostat replaced, my mechanic had also replaced the radiator elbow. A few weeks later I notice coolant spraying out of the elbow area. I bring it back to the shop and apparently my radiator has a hairline crack on the plastic part that mounts the elbow. My question is, can overtorquing the elbow cause the radiator to crack? Or do radiators generally crack from wear and tear?

I think he should make a contribution. However on a 10 year old car you have little to no chance.

Do you think I could just seal it up with some glue?
You could try but I think it would start to leak again soon afterwards.

Simply put plastic gets brittle with age, not much one can do about that. On mine the front bolt was stuck and removing it to replace the o-ring broke the outside body of the rad but there were no cracks into the radiator core. I took the broken part of the rad and the brass insert the bolt went into and glued them back into the rad & clamped them until they dried over night. After that I installed the new o-ring and then lightly bolted the elbow in place, remember these plastic parts need very little pressure to hold them in places, the o-ring stops leaks. After this I took a zap-strap and clamped the front of the elbow in place and it has been like that for a few years with no leaks or further problems. If you look really closely at this pic you can see the zap-strap..

http://members.shaw.ca/vr6_corrado/Engn1.jpg

Chances are good it was damaged by the mechanic but proving it will be a different storey.

Cheers, Dennis

it sits in a groove around the bottom of the elbow's part which sits inside the radiator... 8)