Sign in to follow this  
Frostee

Temperature Gauge is not reading anything

:cry: Hi All, I am having an issue with my corrado and the temperature gauge, I have seen on the forum somebody else with the same issue and that it was suggested that they change the sensor on the top hose close to the engine the black 2 pin one, I did this which cured the flashing temperature light which was on all the time constantly flashing but the gauge is still not reading at all. I have also noticed that there is another sensor close to the one I changed which is blue is this one directly for the gauge or not and if not what can I check to get this gauge working again, all other dials are fine. Thanks in advance.

Dunno about the other engines, but I found by accident (ie I broke it when fixing something else :lol: ). On the 1.8 16v, there are 3 small temp senders around the water housing on the gearbox side of the head (actually screwed into head). They all seem to be the same type of sender, just sending to different places, but the water temp one on mine anyway, was the top front one.

Bottom front is the ISV one (the one i broke - so swapped them over at the expense of the water temp gauge.) They cost £15 from VW. Description, small black, 1 connector.

Hope this helps.

I have the same problem. I'm persuming you have a G60 cause it sounds the same as mines.

Did it break before you got it? Mine broke one night and what happened was the gauge raised right to the top the light started to flashand the needlesuddenly dropped. There was absolutly nothing wrong with the car, but had it checked over by an auto spark and fixed the black sender to fix the light. He played about with the blue one and couldn't get it to work. I was always going to try and replace my gauge wondering if that would work. Trying to get that sorted at the mo actually....

:cry: Well i replaced the blue sender apparently this is a temperature sensor for a Corrado with a cat fitted but as I changed the other one I thought i would change that too, this still has not cured the problem. The gauge was broken when I collected the car and yes I have a Corrado G60 1.8 supercharged version with the PG engine in it. I will have to look at the side of the head then next and see if this sensor does the job. Anyone else come across this or managed to fix it with the right sensor?. All I know so far is that replacing the black one on the hose stops the temp light from flashing if this comes on and there is nothing wrong with the car i.e overheating. My temp gauge needle just sits on the zero line and does not move.

A common problem on the PB golfs was a broken wire in the harness that runs along the head above the gearbox. (cant remember if the loom is the same PG though).

I take the fuel gauage works ok (if not voltage stabliser behind dash)

:)

:lol: Just to let you all know i got this problem solved I had to remove the dash and clock faces and noticed that the metal bar that moves the needle was not inside a slot which is located underneith the needle hence when the current was flowing the bar would move but the needle would not as it was not inside the cylinder that actually moves the needle in the first place. If any of you ever take a dash apart and look behind the temp/fuel gauge you will see exactly what I mean as it is difficult to descirbe.

On the top hose next to each other,

The BLUE sensor is coolant temp for the ECU.

If you unplug this with the car running, and it works, the RPM should change (quick & dirty test)

The BLACK sender is coolant temp for gauge display.

If you unplug this, the gauge display will be disabled.

Skye