Sign in to follow this  
awigman

power steering fluid

hi, im been having trouble with a leak from my pressure pipe from power steering pump to the rack, I went to vw dealers to buy power steering fluid they sold me the green one, same a gfs where i went previously. When i got my pipe replaced mechanic at independant vw specist told me that my c needed the red fluid so drained it out and replaced it? is this right? if so does anyone know where can i buy the red one from? cheers

On my G60 golf i used the green one. I honestly can't see why the golfs and corrado's would be different (someone may correct me!). Sureley the main dealers wouldn't have given you bad info?!

Some cars use automatic transmission fluid in the power steering systems but VW are designed to use hydraulic fluid. You should really use it but the power steering shouldn't be damaged if you have the red. I drove my A2 for 10 years with the red stuff in it and who knows how long it was in there before I bought it.

I would look around for a better mechanic though, this information about fluids and uses is published everywhere and if your mechanic takes the correct fluid out and puts the wrong fluid in then you have the wrong mechanic. What's he going to do next?

Cheers, Dennis

Dennis