Sign in to follow this  
CaiosG60 PWR

Fire out of exhaust (G60)

There is fire coming out of my exhaust! It seems to happen at the top of 3rd and in second when slowing down. The car has just had its timeing sorted out proparly at a main Bosch dealer who have an execllent reputation. They said that there was a problem with the ECU, I have a print out which I will scan in for those with tech knowledge. I know the fire is proppably just it running to rich but is there anything else that could cause this. The reason I ask is that the first time the engine was setup it was pinking loads now the second time it doesn't seem as healthy and the fire! The problem is that the timming is way off what it should be. But its piss!ng me off now I just want it to run absoulutly sweet!

In the mean time though It doesn't bother me that while I scream off into the distance all the chaseing cars see's is a flash of flames as I dissapear!! :lol: :lol:

Flames out of your exhaust will mean your timing is way out - and as you said, it the opposite of pinking.

Timing is an arse to explain, but I think of opposite of pinking is retarding towards TDC (top dead centre).

I don't think this will actually do any damage to your engine - unlike pinking.

If you have a CAT, it won't be good for that, and you are overfuelling which will lead to worse MPG and a fuel-smell.

But as you say, flames are cool. I did this to my MX5 - great fun... 8)

DubWhiZZ's G60 Oettenger Golf does this as well... It basically is where excess fuel gets ignited in the hot exhaust causing a flame outta the tailpipe... Looks cool! 8) It shouldn't do too much damage as long as you aren't getting a huge BANG with it, but it does mean that your car is overfueling on run-out and on high revs... (huge bang could damage your exhaust!)

I remember that you'd had a chip and pulley fitted and a de-cat when I spoke to you a while ago, do you know which chip/pulley combination you've got? Could just be that this is how it's supposed to run, as running slightly rich is MUCH safer then running lean and pinking? :?

The reason that it'll seem slower now it's not pinking is 'cos it'll be running slightly more sluggishly than when it was pinking... The aim of perfect tuning is to get the car so that it's just ABOUT to pink all the way through the rev range without actually ever pinking... Practically impossible to do, but this is where you will pull maximum power safely out of the engine...

As long as your engine is purring happily through all of the rev-range, and has no flat spots where the power is massively down from what it should be, I'd be inclinded to trust the Bosch blokes that set it up... 8)

For those who aren't sure... AFAICR, Pinking is named after the funny noise that the engine makes when the timing is slightly (or massively!) out so that the engine is firing before it should. This means that instead of the piston being "fired" back down the cylinder like it should be, the explosion is actually partially slowing the piston down as it's on the up stroke and then pushing it back down. This means that the piston suffers excess pressure causing heat, burning and potential melting, it also causes strain on the con-rods and crank + all associated bearings... :shock:

It can also occur when not enough fuel is being burnt for the amount of air in the cylinder (ie running lean) which causes the fuel to ignite much easier (and thus earlier) in the stroke than it should...

I think it is being caused by the old jaba sport chip that I have from aroung 1999 I think but not 100% on its source. I think I'll get that SNS chip fitted then get it rolling roaded at dubsport or something like that. I think there is a bit of a flatspot now and again but only small and probably on the first time its opened out. So thats nothing to worry about.

I'll just enjoy giving nova, corsa and saxo(sorry jim) boys even more of a shock when the come accross g-lader power!!!! It'd be cool if I could get a mate to take a picture while I overtake him! It'd make the best avatar!

I think it is being caused by the old jaba sport chip that I have from aroung 1999 I think but not 100% on its source. I think I'll get that SNS chip fitted then get it rolling roaded at dubsport or something like that. I think there is a bit of a flatspot now and again but only small and probably on the first time its opened out. So thats nothing to worry about.

I'll just enjoy giving nova, corsa and saxo(sorry jim) boys even more of a shock when the come accross g-lader power!!!! It'd be cool if I could get a mate to take a picture while I overtake him! It'd make the best avatar!

golf G60 way to go m8 !!! :D