Sign in to follow this  
Valver

VR6 breather filter?.......

Guys

Can anyone help with this query?

Now, on the VR6 cam cover, theres an outlet on the rear left of it which on my engine has a plastic breather pipe with a grey 'blanked-off' sensor which then connects to the plastic inlet pipe.

Now, I've seen some VR6s where this plastic breather pipe has been removed/blanked off and the outlet from the cam cover has a small filter attached. What does this setup do - any advamtages of doing this? Where can i get this type of breather filter from?......

I'll try and get a pic of one if I can to show anyone who's not sure what I'm rambling on about.....

TIA

Having a filter prevents oil fumes from crankcase going into the intake and throttlebody which can cause bad idling/running. The downside is the oil vapour will drip onto the exhaust manifold and create fumes inside the car. Another option is to run a pipe from the crankcase breather to the floor so the fumes don't get drawn into the cars ventilation system.

The hose you are referring to is the breather for the crankcase and it is bypassed into the intake system where these fumes are burnt. I would replace the hose and all should be fine. I have never heard of any problems with a bad idle or running from this as every VR6 comes with the breather set up this way. If you want to vent the crankcase to the atmosphere what you can do is remove the hose and then measure the flange on the valve cover and look at the open element filters K&N sells. These filters will work fine and simply clamp on usung a hose clamp.

Cheers, Dennis