Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

G60 Limp mode

Yep, I know it all to well, its when a sensor is dead or reading out of range, the ECU then resorts to a fixed value to keep the engine running and prevent any major damage.

well lets just hope... thanks steve wherever you are

Woodbridge in Suffolk, apparently :D

So how do you tell if your G60 is in limp mode? Is there any objective way to tell i.e. a warning light etc or is it just "my car isnt accelerating as well as normal so it must be in limp mode" type thing.

The document i read stated that the ECU can run OK with one duff sensor but as soon as another goes out of range it enters 'limp mode'. Do you need to reset the ECU once the offending sensor is replaced or should it clear itself once it gets a good signal?

the limp mode allowed it to get home one day, then just shut down, the guys at tillmans german auto say that the fuel pressure spikes before it shuts down and have a FPR on order I think I am gonna have them replace it with a porsche 944 one so that I get the fuel enrichment, yes ECU must be reset in order for it to work properly

The ECU doesn't learn anything so there is no reset. Everything runs off stored maps. As long as all the sensors are working as you start the car it will be happy. Any(just one sensor) failures with the ign on will cause it to ignore particular sensors until they are fixed. As the failure occurs the ECU begins using default data to prevent damage to the engine.

I wouldn't fit a 944 FPR(I assume you mean a 3.5BAR one) without a chip designed to run with the additional fuel, it'll just run rich.

Gavin