Sign in to follow this  
tonertron

Flashing light sensor

I wonder if someone might be able to help.........

I dont have my user manual with me at work....but I noticed at lunch time that when you turn the ignition (just prior to turning over the engine) a red light with a temp symbol flashes. I dont really want to wait till I get home incase I do any damage to the car.......

I have a 1991 J plate 1.8 16v.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

it's supposed to...

When you turn on the ignition with the handbrake on you should get 3 red lights:

Oil pressure warning (constantly on)

Water temp/level warning (flashes a few times)

Brake warning (constantly on until you remove the handbrake)

As soon as you start the car, both the oil pressure and water temp lights should go out within a second or so, and then the brake warning lamp should go out when you release the handbrake... 8)

Hope this helps... :)

Any idea why those warning lights remain on Henny? I mean its clearly by design as all Corrado's do it, but I can't think what the purpose is...

to let you know they work! :lol:

The oil pressure one will come on 'cos the engine has no oil pressure until you start it. The water one will come on and flash a few times to let you know the light works, and then may either go out before the car has started if the sensor is still wet, or will stay on until the sensor in the header tank becomes wet when the engine's started...

Thanks Henny.....as long as the temp is supposed to flash a few times.......that's all I need to know.......I'd obviously never noticed it before.........I've only had it for 3 1/2 months.

yeah, it's only if the lights stay on once the engine's running that they're indicating a fault... 8)

worth noting that corrados with ABS the handbrake light will stay on even if the handbrake is release until the ABS unit has done all its checks, mine normally goes out a second before the main ABS light

The light should continue flashing, even with the engine off, when the header tank is empty shouldn't it? I tried this the other day to check that the sensor worked, and the LED went off after a few flashes as normal. Unplugging the sensor made no difference.

Thanks,

--

Olly

Might be a noob question, but when I turn the key the Oil light keeps flashing until I start up, at which point it goes away - above it suggests it should be constant - is there a problem?

Thanks

Paul