Sign in to follow this  
Louie Lungbubble

Rear mount causing grinding?

Just got my motor back from the garage after an occasional grinding/rubbing noise started from the front end.

Knew it wasn't the brakes, thought maybe a bearing, or even a ball joint had collapsed, causing something rotating to touch on something else.

Garage diagnosis was that my rear engine mount is shot and something or other is making contact.

This now makes sense as to why the noise would disappear under acceleration, as I suppose the engine would rock away from whatever it's touching on.

My question is gentlemen, what could it be that's rubbing from a goosed rear mount?

I'm (supposed) to be going to Yorkshire tomorrow, and would love to go in mine as opposed to the G/F's motor.

Dont wanna be killing my baby though. (The car, not me bird) :wink:

If it's rear gearbox mount, drive shaft against chassis member/subframe.

If it's rear engine mount, then it'll be inner CV joint against the heat shield or possibly the drive shaft/counter weight against the subframe...

It's a bit of a dodgy area... it could be fine, but unless you know EXACTLY what's rubbing and where, it's impossible to say that it won't do any damage... :|