Sign in to follow this  
Dubster5

Electrical Problems

I have tried various forums but with no results, so I thought i'd try this one!

The fuse which covers the electric windows and reversing lights keeps blowing, the windows work when the door is open, but as soon as the ignition is turned on, the fuse (No. 15 I think) blows.

I am about 2 sell my Corrado and would really like 2 sort this problem out b4 I do.

If it is an earthing problem I really don't know where 2 start looking!

Any ideas are VERY welcome.

Cheers,

Dubster5

dubsig.gif

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I haven't personally experienced this problem but from the sounds of things the problem may well be earthing related.

Do the windows work with the door closed and the ignition off :?:

If not then the area I would concentrate on would be the cable bundle as it passes from the front wing to the door as this is subject to a bit of wear and tear when opening the door

However, I wouldn't have the first idea on how to test it properly.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but hopefully someone will elaborate further

The windows don't work with the door shut, either with the ignition on or off. They always work with the door open, ignition on or off.

It seems 2 b 2 do with the push switch which senses whether the door is open.

Do I have the correct fuse? There is a blue (15A?) in there but maybe it needs 2 b a higher 1? (or will this cause all sorts of problems elsewhere?!)

I am getting nowhere (except through several packets of fuses!)

Cheers,

Dubster5

dubsig.gif

I will check the fuse in my circuit but otherwise try the windows with the door open but the switch pushed in as thou the door is shut. If the windows don't work then suggest new switch :!:

Would a knackered switch cause the fuse 2 keep blowing? (I think its either fuse 14 or 15, not quite sure).

I will check the door bundle and switch at lunchtime.

Cheers,

Dubster5

I've checked my panel - (its a VR6) and there are no fuses bigger than 15A in either the 14th or 15th fuse position.

My concern with the switch is that it could be shorting to earth. However, thinking about it this should also affect your interior lights. I will need to look at the wiring diagrams I have got in order to ascertain whether the lighting circuit and the window circuit are connected.

Hopefully someone else may have some other suggestions

The interior lights are all ok, the only other things that are affected are the electric mirrors and the reversing lights! Weird :?

Thanks 4 ur help,

Dubster5

P.S. It is Fuse 14, I checked :)

it sounds like there's a wire that's worn out somewhere and when the door isn't open, it's not earthing properly.

not an electrician so that's the best i've got (even though you pretty much had that anyway!)

sounds like there is a broken wire or two in the rubber that hold's the wires from the door to the door pillar , try and pull the rubber back so that u can inspect the wires !!

Just read this topic and its similar to the problem I had I fixed yesterday.

Fuse 14 controls the mirrors, reverse lights and heated washer jets. And although it doesn't say in the handbook, if this blows windows also won't work.

First thing to check are the heated washer jets under the bonnet. Its very common for the wires to be corrode at the base of the jets and they just came away. Check these aren't shorting on the bonnet else give it a little tug and see if they just pop out, If so disconnect them or tape them up till you buy replacements. Unfortunately, these are quite pricey. Pop a fuse back in and see if it blows.

Next I'd check the reverse light switch. On mine this was causing the problem. Disconnect the wiring from the switch and pop a fuse in. Also check condition of the wires around the switch and make sure they are clear of gear linkage. A replacement reverse light switch for mine, 2.0 16v, cost £10.06 from ECP, its an OE part too.

If this fails, disconnect all the compnenets and connect each one up and see where fuse blows to corner off the problem.

HTH and good luck.

Amit