Sign in to follow this  
Baz2004

Idling at 35000 rpm?

My 16V is idling at 35000rpm starts Ok and sits around 1100 after a few mins any throttling and it shoots up to 3500 and does not return.. I checked the throttle body and it seems fine, could this be a problem with the injector housing as I replaced a couple of lines recently?

There seems to be a build up of pressure also in the water I recently replaced expansion cap, I thought that might be due to an airlock can this in any way cause the problem?

Accelerator cable been replaced recently?

Just thinking that it's odd that it idles at 3.5 once you've touched the throttle.

The cable is actually slack hasn’t been replaced recently, its quite loud alright but noise it the last thing im worried about !

Was getting nowhere adjusting the ISV either, seems to start and idle Ok when started from cold start. Don’t notice it climbing to 3000+ when left idle either.

ill disconnect the ISV and tomorrow and see what happens, already tried the pedal don’t think that sticking.

Try removing the cable and seeing if that helps. I had the same problem right before the throttle cable snapped.

OK found the problem at the weekend came at the end of a 12 hour day on the car brought much relief. Turned out to be a broken switch (Thermotime switch) after trying new ISv and cold start valves and taking off and putting on 2 different inlet manifolds + throttle bodies as well as changing fuel injectors + lines to mention a few things I was beginning to loose faith then I found the loose wire and clip by chance when I went hunting for a Allen key dropped when fitting the cold start valve.

The minute I touched the clip off the switch the engine settled back down to 900 rpm – sweet J broke the circuit and she jumped up to 3000 - problem solved, made my day that was for sure.