Sign in to follow this  
Rawhide

Strange noise coming from the front wheel..

Sorry for the dumb question but when I pull away when the car is cold after having travelled approx 5 - 10 meters I get this 'graunnnch' noise from the front left wheel area. :? It only does it once and its not really noisy but you can 'feel' it through the pedal.

The ABS all works fine and the steering geometry seems ok (no bad tyre wear or weave) and the car otherwise drives fine. I haven't had a chance to get the car up on a jack and inspect it but any ideas what I should look for.

It sound like a seized caliper binding to the disk and then releasing but I would assume that would be more severe.

I agree, sounds like a sticking caliper.

Not serious though, as most cars do this if left for a while with the handbrake firmly on.

Try parking on the flat with the car in gear and the handbrake off.

Come back to the car the next day and drive off - no clunk, no stick, therefore just a sticky caliper.

Mine do it after a cold night - I know they need doing soon but they were more than sufficient to pass the MoT so not that bad.