Sign in to follow this  
DEBBIE

CORRADO 16V IDLE PROBLEM

Hi

I have a Corrado 16V (unfortunately not VR6, yet) that has an idle problem. Starts fine but if parked for a short time only, espcially in warm weather, it will not idle when re-started until anywhere between 1 to 5 miles of driving. Have read it may be an Idle Stabilising Valve problem, if anyone can explain where this is located and or any tips on cleaning, or replacing. Or any other thoughts on this I would be eternally grateful. Garages of no help at all and before long I am going to get hit up the arss when cutting out at roundabouts etc.

Thanks

Debbie

When you say "won't idle" I presume it's cutting out? Does it drop instantly, in one go, or wonder around 1000 a bit, struggling to keep going?

Also, do you notice anything further up the range?

I had a distributor problem recently, that effected idle speed, as well as any other engine speed.

deag.

if you have a 1.8 16v then the isv is on the gearbox side of the engine on the end of the rocker cover it has two hoses and 1 plug conected to it if you unplug it and remove the hoses it just slides off the bracket i soaked mine in carb cleaner overnight but been told petrol does same job

when your having problems with the isv the car hunts up and down before setteling at the idle speed (around 950 ) sometimes its ok sometimes not

new they are over £100 from vag but if its working sometimes it just needs a clean

if you have a 2.0 16v i think its the same but not sure

hope this helps

Rob

Thanks for responding guys.

Deag - yes it cuts out. Starts OK then revs drop immediately and it cuts out. Have had problems of running too fast also but not very often and soon sorts itself out.

DEBBIE, welcome to the forum, if you get chance the search option will show you a number of posts were similar problems are discussed in depth.

Not sure if there was a conclusive solution but all interesting to read.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Debbie,

In my 16v, I've noticed something similar when I start the car without much accelerator. I noticed that it used to start, and the revs drop below 1000, and continue to fall until it'd cut out. But ive recently noticed if when starting I apply a 'healthy' amount of accelerator say to push it above 2500 revs on start-up, i dont come across this problem anymore.

Try it and let us know?

ive always had good results cleanin the isv by getting a jar of petrol/thinners and dangle the isv into the jar while its still wired in

leave the ign on for 10 mins and give it a slosh around now and then

Lots of accelerator makes no difference i am afraid, thanks for replying though.

Will try cleaning ISV at weekend and let you know.

Thanks once again.

Debbie

as has been said above try cleaning the isv first. however, given the problem is occuring when your already warm the problem could lie elswhere... it's a reliable but pretty sensetive injection system on 16v', particularly the 1800, so all has to be set up right

Could be a timing problem, when was the belt last replaced? try adjusting the throttle body a bit to allow more air flow and see if it stabilises.

I don't suppose you changed inlet manifolds recently? I've heard of similar probs from people who have put 50m manifolds on.

If you get nowhere with the ISV, check your dizzy too! Mine was eventually traced to that. Readings were fine most of time, but once problem developed, the readings went haywire.

It seems my old one had a small oil leak from the head.

deag.