Sign in to follow this  
Blue_Joe

G60 Larger Throttle Body and or inlet manifold???

Has anyone been able to increase the size of the butterfly valves on the inlet manifold - or increased the size of the inlet manifold itself. Is this possible to therefore increase the airflow into the engine increaseig the power in the car

Or is the only option to port out the existing throttle body???

Blue_Joe, Have you actually looked inside a g60 throttle body ? There is iF iirc about 2mm max between the BUTTERFLYS. The material would become very thin indeed if you starting enlarging the butterflys themself. Have a look on vortex to do more reserch on g60 throttlebodies...

Thats what I thought. Just wondered if it is worth and possible to change the throttle body or entire inlet manifold if there are any compatibles?

I'm sure I saw a modified inlet maniold off another car to fit the G60 (Might have been a 16VG60) on here a little while back!

some of the americans use a old audi inlet iirc, Also depending on the part number there were actually 2 differant sized std g60 ones,

I would of thought your concern's would of been to be getting the gass's out of the head now ..? a flowed throttlebody/inlet is all thats needed just concentrate on the exhaust side of things if i were you

The Audi manifolds does require a lot of porting to the head it self to have the ports match. It does work very well when done properly, but as g-amn indicates, it is the exhaust side of things on the G60 that really needs work

The exhaust side is all under control. Will be getting ported exhaust manifold and larger bore front pipe from JMR. Also looking at a large bore head and engine rebuild with 1984cc Bore out!

I was refering to the exhaust port in the head, and the need for a larger exhaust valve (35-36mm)

:salute: totally agree. camshaft also. Im still not convienced about these std ported manifolds/big bore down pipes as im still to see a dyno plot with a g60 running them.

The Large bore head as I said is going to be done in next few months, along with the engine bore and rebuild. The only other option for exhaust manifold is a 4 branch but had various reports that they crack after a bit!!!

Blue_Joe, how are you going to get 1984cc? To do that takes some pretty serious re-engineering of the block and the removal of the oil squirters which keep the piston crowns cool... I'd be interested in some info on this conversion if you have any 'cos I'm considering doing something odd to my spare G60 engine and my MKI Golf once I've swapped the 1940cc one into my grey Corrado...

Henny - TSR do an engine bore out and rebuild to 1984 or thereabouts apparently. If not I'll be looking at a 1940cc lump like yourself!

Blue_Joe, mate you need to do your reserch ... tsr afaik use a transporter block for there 2.0 conversion...not the best way to go about it in my book

Thanks for the advice Daz

HHHmmmmm doesn't sound too good then! Perhaps I'll have to look into the 1940cc that Henny uses! I want to keep my block to keep with the original numbers!