Sign in to follow this  
24V Renshaw

Bypassing ABS

It would appear that the MK4 ABS unit I have just fitted has at some point run dry of fluid and will now not bleed. (they come primed with fluid when you buy them new).

I don't have time to sort another one out right now, so if I plumb the brake pipes to bypass the ABS unit will the MK4 Golf MC and servo work on its own? Can't see why not but thought i would ask...

Jay

Dunno but im sure I seen somewhere that you can bleed them but need to have vagcom plugged in and change something to open all the valves.

Done everything I could in terms of VAG-COM, running it in basic settings and following the bleeding procedure. They are difficult to make sense of to be honest, but I tried every way I could and got the same result every time. Pedal was good until I started the engine and it goes straight down. Basically as if there is an air-lock somewhere.

Aren't these the exact same sort of problems that phatvr6 is having with his setup as well?

Yep and his is not MK4 stuff. There is something fundementally going wrong with the ABS units. My mate had exactly the same on his aswell where he had installed all MK4 stuff and could not get it to work. I have read in a couple of places now that the ABS unit must be kept full of fluid as otherwise it creates airlocks inside it which can't be eliminated.... cr@p design if that is the case!!

It makes sense, as the pedal is good until the vacuum assist comes on which would help compress the air pockets hence pedal drops to floor.

Jay

Jay