Sign in to follow this  
Roger Blassberg

VR6 rear brakes

I have replaced discs, pads, bearings etc., very recently. All is working well, including handbrake operation. The guide pins are sliding freely.

BUT, I still can't get rid of the annoying brake squeal when on the move, almost like a high-pitched whistle, which disappears as soon as I put my foot on the brake pedal.

I put copper grease on the back plates of the pads and on the guiding surfaces of the caliper carriers. So far as I can tell, the brakes are releasing fully, but there is obviously a very light contact between pad and disc somewhere. Is this the preliminary to seizing caliper syndrome?

Having read various threads recently it seems as though some people are going through hell trying to get a firm pedal after putting Mk 4 calipers on, so maybe I'll replace with standard calipers if it comes to it.

All comments gratefully received.

Best wishes

RB

What make of Pads did you use? Maybe worth taking them off and giving them a sand, also check that one wheel is not getting a lot hotter than the other...

annoying brake ...high-pitched whistle

Roger it depends on if you know someone who has access to a lathe. After listening to loads of silly ideas, an old geezer said "skim the discs flat". He put them on his lathe and we spun them up, I sat there for about an hour with wet'n'dry and a block, and slowly took off all the inner bumps, then matted it all up. Then replaced the pads again (else they would have created the same undulations within 3000 miles).

No problems for 80K miles since then. Hope this helps.

Thanks Bruno for your suggestion; I really don't think that this is the problem, though. The discs are brand new. I'm going to check that there is no play in the bearings this weekend; maybe it's time to look at new calipers.

Best wishes

RB