Sign in to follow this  
chris g

Engine smoking only on start up

Hi, my 2.0 16v is smoking a little on start up. Its a white, steam like smoke (No its not just condensation before you ask!) and it only does it when I first start it in the mornings or when its been stood for hours.

I've not noticed it at any other time and was wondering what it might be, Could it be valve stem oil seals? if so is it an easy job to do? Does it involve removing the head?

Cheers

Chris

could be the start of a head gasket.....as it'll be water/coolant burning as opposed to oil which would be a blue haze

white = water/coolant

blue = oil

black = fuel/carbon

I am pretty sure its oil, a very small amount of burning oil gives a white/grey smoke. Its definately not using/burning/loosing any coolant though, i'm sure of that.

if you sit for a while , like at traffic lights does it smoke as you pull away ?

does sound like valve seals ,

It is unlikely that cahnaging the stem seals will fix it for long. If the guides are worn it'll not take the valves long to do the new seals. Best to have new exhaust guides fitted as a minimum if you take the head off. Probably about a tenner a guide to supply and fit.

Gavin