Sign in to follow this  
Blown

Question about G60 tensioner.

I've just replaced the charger belt on my G60,but have noticed that the belt slips off the charger pulley at high revs.

The cause of this is the plastic tensioner,that the belt goes under before going around the charger,has worked loose. :roll:

It's impossible to get a socket on the centre nut because of the chassis leg and I can't get an offset spanner into it either because of the depth.

Has anyone got any idea if VW have a special tool to get into this nut to tighten it?

If not,does anyone have any idea of how to do this?

if your talking about what i think you are...you can unbolt the alloy piece that the pulley is bolted to and then tighten the nut

you can also pick out the seal and grease the bearing in it while your there

This is the fixed idler pulley - from memory, I'm sure mine's held on with an allen bolt .. :shock:

Difficult, but can be removed in situ.

If you get completely stuck - the only way to fully access it is to remove the alternator & supercharger. This will give access to the supercharger bracket, which should also be removed. The pulley is bolted to the supercharger bracket.

or... undo the front engine mount and jack the engine up 20mm then you can acess the bolt easilly

Thanks G-man,but Stevemac was right (:thumbleft: cheers mate!) -Allen bolt it was.

Dumbass that I am,I must have loosened that off for some reason when I was working on it.... :oops: :oops: and forgot to tighten it fully. :oops: :oops:

Sorted now though.

All I have to do now is figure out why theres an annoying rattle coming from around the crank/power steering pump area.... :scratch:

All I have to do now is figure out why theres an annoying rattle coming from around the crank/power steering pump area.... :scratch:
Loose or missing screw from the cambelt cover ??

Naw,I think it's either the P/s pulley itself or the belt isn't tensioned correctly.I'll have another go at it later.

At least it's back up and running again.