Sign in to follow this  
sambo

Changing the engine

I think i'l be changing my 2.0l valver engine and box soon

Can anyone give me some do-s and dont-s please like do i need to remove slam panel or not.....ect,ect

I am swaping it for another valver engine and box

Any tips very welcome

Hello mate,def. remove the front slam panel because it was designed to be removed for that job,do you have a hoist?,if you have the poss. of using a hoist it's real easy,if not try getting hold of 2 jacks which is safer than using 1,after draining the engine's coolant remove the block's thermostat,that way you'll drain all the coolant thus avoiding it peeing out making a mess all over your workspace.

Be carefull when you loosen the inner driveshaft cv joint's bolts,if you don't insert the torx bit properly you run the risk of damaging the bolt's head,then try getting the buggers off...!,clean out any muck BEFORE inserting the torx bit.

The same thing goes when/if you try loosening the 30mm driveshaft nuts,the bloody nuts have been made too thin so make sure you have a good fitting socket to avoid damaging the nut's flats,pigs to remove if damaged...,1 other way of avoiding that is to disconnect the wishbone's bottom ball joint(3 13mm nut/bolts) and pull both hub and drive shaft away from 'box as a unit (recomended).

You could also remove the entire engine/'box/subframe/s.rack all at the same time,thus avoiding the joy of trying to re-connect the 6 17mm exhaust/manifold's nuts which,due to lack of space,are real bastids to put back and are often siezed...as are the cat's nuts/bolts but with no engine in the way they will be a piece of cake to deal with,this way is also usefull if you come across any s.rack gaitors that have split.

Obviosly,i've no way of knowing your experience/workfacilities,but if you run into any problems look me up on the forum and i'll try to help,hope some of this helps you,Cheers,Andrew.

Cheers andrew :thumbleft:

Good tips there m8

To be honest i kinda knew all of it but its always wise to ask for advice!

So the slam panel is best removed, and i have had a pleasure of removing driveshaft torx bits.......aarrgghhh!

I think i'l be changing my 2.0l valver engine and box soon

Can anyone give me some do-s and dont-s please like do i need to remove slam panel or not.....ect,ect

I am swaping it for another valver engine and box

Any tips very welcome

I've done this several times at home in a double garage and on the drive, didn't remove the front panel but I can see clearance would be better without it, I just used a small crane and two of us to guide it into the engine bay. Saved loads of time taking all of the front of the car off, just need to be careful not to whack the rad with the swinging engine!

Manifold nuts aren't that bad to do with a good selection of spanner sockets etc...

David.

I've done it the front panel off way several times... I considered using the engine hoist way, but decided that it's MUCH quicker to remove the front panel and bumper and is much cheaper to put the engine/box onto a pair of trolley jacks and some wood than to get hold of an engine hoist... ;) :lol:

Last time i dismantled a C, i went troley jack route and it wasnt to bad, but not to sure if its gona be as easy geting it back into the car

as long as you line it up properly it goes back in on trolley jacks as easily as it came out... you only have to fart about with positioning the drive shafts a little, but you have to do that when you drop an engine in from above anyway... :|

When i changed my valver engine for the g60 block i took the front end apart and used a crane was piece of cake

chris

i took bonnet off, bumper and slam off, bonnet 2 get the height and reach but was prob a bit much actually

Unless you have A/C,then don't remove the slam panel,if you do have A/C you'll have to re-gas it,over here it's a major PITA because freon is no longer available...and is against the law.