Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

Plug Leads - HEEEELP!

I've now spent 4 hours trying to fit new plug leads to my VR. I have the unbeleivably biggest rip off in the world ever bar none proper vw steel sleeve thing but i'm just totally at a miss to know how to do this. :p

I can get them in and on so the rubber is over the plug but not far enough to click in properly. When i do get that reasuring click the spanner is then wedged and will only come out with the flocking plug lead.

I must be missing something very fundamental here (like a brain) as this is a becide the motorway job in pooring rain not 4 hours in a garage!

I need it fixed for work on monday which only gives me another 24 hrs, is it possible i ask myself.......................... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

This is getting stupid, just tried and tried, its just not going to happen. The spanner actually expands if you really push and goes completely over the metal lead ends. Took me 10 mins to prise the spanner of the lead on the last atempt. Bit worried theres nothing in the search about this, obviously means theres no hope for me, and i was going to do my own timing chains!

Hi Karmannvr6, if i push it on hard enough to get the clikc the spanner opens slightly and goes over the sticky out bits on the plug! Or it works fine but the spanner is wedged in and if i twist it just brings the plug out stuck in the tool!

Its not because G&S have sold me plug leads that are...................less than perfect is it?

I had the same problem. Proberly not the leads. Just a fiddely job. Try pushing untill you feel the click, if the tool goes over the lip just try twisting it off. Just a case of trial and error i think. But the tool is designed to turn off the lead once it is in place.

Think twisting to get it to click means you dont have to push so hard! Just tricky as i didnt want to scratch loads of metal bits off to go into the chambers on the next plug change! Getting there, but have confussed the firing order now through getting stressed with this! must be on the website somewhere though or in the user manual!?

Getting less than impressed with G&S these days though. Im on my 3rd set of zimmer self warp disc in as many months. My wife put brembos from G&S on hers and they were warped before BADLY from new!!

I used to love them but since they have become G&S&F&I&............whatever, the quality seems to be going off. I hate dissing anyone though so I will stick with it and the guys are v helpful when i keep going back!

Why not try spraying some lubricant inside the plug lead's connectors such as silicone spray?,sometimes the leads on my valver used to get stuck because of water ingress.Try it.Cheers.

I have to add something here.

I too have the same problem and it is the lead at fault.

The VAG leads have a cut out in the metal but the form of the GSF leads are a little different and don't have the cut out to allow the tool/spanner to engage and yes if pushed firmly it will slip over and jam, thay are w@nk leads and i hate them.

Chris