Sign in to follow this  
willwoll100

Another MOT fail

The problem is in the title, I forgot that my MOT was due to run out imminently so had to call a favour in to a friend so he took it to get MOT'd and it failed mainly on emissions being a mile out. I was never told the by how much and I know I should of asked anyway my problem is do I just risk it and put it in for re-test after getting the CAT very hot before the test or should I change the lambda sensor or the CAT. Now I'm unsure as to whether a faulty lambda would make the emissions sky high or the CAT or could it be the MAF?

God at the moment I hate Corrados (VR6)

Will

EDIT: How much is a new CAT?

Is there not an emissions report with the fail certificate? Would be helpful to let us know as theres a few different parts to it.

If its the lambda thats out chances are its an engine sensor or leaking exaust.

If the lambdas fine but something else it out then it could be the cat.

I'll have to text my mate tomorrow to see what the problem area was, unfortunately I was in to much of a hurry to remember to ask. But knowing which way round your explanation is then hopefully I'll be able to figure it out. I'll put it on the ramp at work tomorrow to check to see if the CAT is making a rattling noise and for leaks.

You gotta love this forum :wink:

Cheers

A knackered maf could cause the lambda to read high (I had the same problem passing the mot when the lambda reading was over 3) I swapped mafs and the reading went back down to around 1.

A knackered maf could cause the lambda to read high (I had the same problem passing the mot when the lambda reading was over 3) I swapped mafs and the reading went back down to around 1.

I've a sneaky suspicion that I'm going to be chasing round in circles Corrado stylee with this one :mad: