Sign in to follow this  
JBOB

Alternator Casing

Ive bought a polished Alt casing (cos im to lazy) from a mate of mine and today ive tried to swap the casings over.

Ive gotten everything apart except for the smaller part of the casing that attaches to the main spindle thing :wink:

There seems to be two screws/nuts on the inside of the casing but I cant get to them. Has anybody else ever done this and if how ??

Cheers J

You'll need a hyd. press mate,re-attach the spindle's nut to protect the threaded bit and apply pressure until it pops out.

Be carefull because the aluminium can be fragile,cheers,Andrew.

You'll need a hyd. press mate,re-attach the spindle's nut to protect the threaded bit and apply pressure until it pops out.

Be carefull because the aluminium can be fragile,cheers,Andrew.

I dont have a hyd press but do you mean that it will push off the spindle ??

I can see two screws that look like tey hold the spindle on !! but i cant get to them AAAHHHHH I just cant get my head around this LOL

When you press out the shaft using a hyd. press,the hyd. ram forces the alternator shaft out of it's bearing,the screws don't retain the shaft,you could also try heating the alt. casing around the bearing part then with a copper malet try tapping the shaft through but i dowt that would be sufficent to shift the shaft.

All i wanted to do was swap the casing's over :( I though the internals would just come out :(

What do those two screws hold then ??