Sign in to follow this  
4stud

Exhaust again

Hello again,

I have bought a cat and the big rear silencer for my car but cant have it fitted because the silencer in beetween is rotten. So i decided to phone good old VW to ask for a price. The bloke from VW couldn't believe it was 82 quid so imagine the look on my face!

So does anyone know where i can get a pattern part cheap? I was thinking of putting a straight piece in but got told it wont pass emissions on the mot.

Going to get very drunk now!

Craig....

GSF or ECP will do it cheaper... no idea how long it'll last though... :|

I doubt that fitting a straight through piece instead of the silencer will make any difference to your emmissions at all. The problem is that you will reduce some of the exhaust back pressure. Non force-inducted cars need exhaust back pressure to run properly.

The exhaust back pressure causes a suction effect in the exhaust manifold & enables the engine to run properly.

The reason for my question was that if you had a G60 - you could quite safely remove the silencer & stick a staight piece of pipe there instead. G60's have much less of a requirement for exhaust back pressure.

GSF and ECP dont list this part. Looks like i gota give VW 90 quid. What a fu**in joke!!