Sign in to follow this  
AlanVW

Lost Power To ECU.

A few days ago, a mate had a shot of my K Reg, 92 Golf, VR6, he said he was reverse parking it and stalled it, then it wouldnt restart.

I Have traced it back, and it seems the power to my ECU, has been cutoff, Pin 28 Which should be a ign feed just earths all the time.

Since haynes dont make a manual on the VR6, im stuggiling a bit with wiring digrams and such and have no idea where the wire gets it's power from I have tried hauling out relays and the plugs in back of ignition but whatever I do this wire still earths,

I have heard about a thing called a inertia switch but cant find one wondering if something simple like that could be the problem ?

any information anyone can give would be greatly appriciated.

Other VWs have an ECU relay. On ETKA the AAA VR6 has a relay in the same position as the ECU relay but it isn't called an ECU relay?

It is in position 3, the fusebox is marked. The part number is 357 906 381A. I'd have a look at that. Take the top off it and check for dry soldered joints.

I have seen intermittent cutting out on G60s and 2 litre 8Vs due to the ECU relay failing.

HTH

Gavin

Tried that relay and other ones,

ended up cutting the IGN feed wire to the ECU and powering it direct, the ECU is turning on all the relays like the fuel pump, but it's still not running, it did offer but just cut out again,

am really a bit stuck now. would like a wiring diagram, can anyone help me out ?

The wiring is similar across most VWs so a MK2 or Passat manual would probably do you.

The Corrado Bentley would be the best though if you can get hold of one.

Where are you? I might be able to fax you some of it from work?

Gavin

Well, the book is saying that there is a ECM Relay, which is number 3 in the fusebox, and that it goes straight to pin 23 on the ECU which would be right,

however this same relay does have another wire from the pin 85 to the ECU also, to pin 9 on the ECU, not sure what pin 9 is though

so maby if im not also powering this pin 9 it is disagreeing with me, i really need to try and check the coninuity of this red/blue wire

Pin 28 is 12 volts from the Lambda Probe Control Unit. Pin 28 derives its power when the fuel pump relay is switched on by the ECU earthing at ECU pin 6 so that FP relay 3/85 earths to energise the relay (FP relay has ignition 12 volts on pin 2/86). The 12 volts outputs on pin 4/87 to fuse 18, through the lambda control unit pin 2, out on pin 4 to ECU pin 28.

The ECU is switched ON from standby by pin 54 on the ECU connector when the ignition switch is on but not start position.

Power also enters the ECU via it’s relay on the fuse/relay panel from ECU relay pin6/87 to ECU connector pin 23. The ECU turns this relay on by earthing it when the ignition is ON.

Therefore, check the fuel pump relay, ECU relay, lambda control unit and fuses 18 (20A) & 22 (10A) are all OK. Most likely fault, the Fuel Pump Relay.

Well The Engine Wiring Loom, was falling to peices anyway, So I decided to rip most of out out and rewrap it toaday, Nightmare job imo!

The Wire im on about from the ECU Relay, also splits up and powers a few different things. so when pulling the lume out I disocnnected the 42 pin plug on the righthand side of the cylnder head.

When I unplugged it, the wire stopped earthing, I checked the whole wire up untill it went underneath the inlet manifold, where I couldnt check anymore, so took the inlet off to get at the injectors, i unplugged the whole injector harness, all and plugged them back in and my wire has stopped earthing, I did put a voltmeter across the injectors and I was getting simmalar readings of around 0.03a there wasnt a odd one or anything,

im still stumped though, could one of my injectors gone faulty, causing the feed to them to earth, ?

i cant see anywhere that the wire has rubbed through,

i still have it all in bit's and im not keen on putting manifold back on untill i can say for sure what the fault was,

anyone got some more thoughts, im pretty confident now that all my relays, power to the ECU etc.. is all working.

What about measuring restistance across the plug on the fuel rail (injector loom) - The Bentley manual says what the readings should be and this may show up a faulty injector...

Cheer's for that, RW1.

I have been away for a few days camping, just got back. so didnt get a chance to check a PC.

Hope i can get to the bottom of this somehow.

Right, im getting somewhere now. I have got power back to my ECU.

MAF Sensor, Injector's , HES. EVAP etc...

But im not getting a trigger to my coil, from my ECU. the wire is intact but the ECU isnt triggering the coil at all.

it is turning on the fuel pump, etc... but isnt breaking the earth contact to induce a spark.