Sign in to follow this  
pkripper

ABS SENSOR CLEAN/DISK REMOVAL

Could someone confirm that to clean the sensors you have to remove the disks, if so, would it be prudent to change them and the pads whilst there?

I would check the state of disks and pads first before starting the job.

If doing it yourself then there would be no money to save on labour, just time at a later date.

If you are paying for it, then yes replacing the fronts would incur no additional cost. The rears however, would have to have bearings fitted prior to fitting which would take a short while. The ABS cage would need transferring too.

Have you a fault on your ABS? If not then don't mess with them would be my advice. The system knows when it has a problem and the light stays on. Cleaning in my opinion(electronic engineering) would not make them work any better if there are no faults.

Gavin

The ABS light is on already so I (but when I say "I", what I really mean is my brother in law, I will be the acting gaffer and tea maker) was going to clean the sensors as I dont have VAG COM and had an idea that you had to take the discs off to get at the sensor from past posts. Thought whilst I was there I could change the disks and pads.

You can check the sensors from under the bonnet and under the back seat. Unplug them and check the resistances with a meter. Chances are one will be different to the other 3 and Bobs your uncle. No need to even get dirty. If they all check out then switch the meter to AC and jack each wheel in turn and spin the wheel. Check for an output on the meter.

If the light doesn't go out at all then I reckon a sensor is dead. If it goes out and then comes on as you go through 10ish MPH then it may just be dirty.

Either way I think you could diagnose it cleanly!

Gavin

:iamwithstupid: I'll echo what Gav just said... 8)

(is there an echo in here???)

Followed instruction, located bad resistance on one sensor, took it out, cleaned it, but made no difference so got new one from VW dealer for £40, put it on, hey presto no more annoying orange glow from the dash.

Happy days :lol:

Cheers again

I used a meter on my sensors and found one to be 'open circuit' compaired to the other at 1.1k ohms. Great, just pop it out and put in another, I thought. But in pure Corrado fashion, not that easy!

How the flock do you get the little tinkers out????

The original ATE ones have metal casings and 'weld' themselves on, try removing the carrier and disk for better access... maybe get one of those gas lamp things to apply some heat if it's really bad!

Remove things like the disk and caliper and then knock the fcuker out with a big hammer and punch. Clean the hole out with emery or a file and stick a bit of grease around the new one.

Gavin

I'm trying to find out what is an acceptable reading for the front sensors on my Always Breaking System.....I've taken readings of both and rhs is 1.13 and the lhs is 2.4, is the lhs one broken then or is that acceptable and I'm barking up the wrong tree?

help most appreciated, 50k without it working now and had it 'fixed' so many times resorted to doing it myself instead of the stealers!!

Interesting reading, as Im looking into an intermittent ABS light. Checked both front sensors to find both get a reading of 1.11 at rest and fluctuate down to 0.9 and upto 1.2 (only). Thinking of taking off the discs and cleaning everything up.

Right - I've cleaned everything off and the sensors now look like new. But still the light comes on after 10mins of driving.

Last option - Vagcom (found a place cheaper). Hope this finds the fault...